Other____________________

Pump makes clicking or buzzing sounds________
No Sounds______________
Pressure gauge reading____30____psi
Other____________________________________

Do you have, and know how to use
an Ampmeter and Voltmeter_______Do not have___________

Describe Problem:

We bought a mobile home 3 years ago. We have a well pit a few yards away from the house. In the past 3 years our pipes have frozen twice, although they did not burst. They were not wrapped properly with heat tape and insulation. We have always had problems with water pressure. There is alot of sediment in the water and we replace the filter in the well pit at least once a month. A few months ago we replaced the pressure switch and the pressure tank, because we were loosing pressure and at times had no water. Since then the pressure was normal. A few weeks ago I noticed there was a small amount of water leaking out from under the panel where our hot water heater is located. Upon inspection I could not find a visible leak. I put a towel down in front of the panel and after a few days it did not appear to be leaking anymore, at least there is no water coming out from under the panel. Right before Christmas, we started loosing pressure again. If you turn on the faucet it seems to be normal pressure and then it dwindles down to a drizzle. Turn the faucet off and wait a minute, turn it on and it does the same thing again. At that time I didn't have time to worry about it with the holiday so I let it go. Then one night I was helping the kids brush teeth and I realized that the pressure was back. I got the kids bathed. The next morning I did several loads of laundry and a load of dishes, then I took a shower, the pressure was fine. My fiance came home and went to take a shower and it started doing the same thing again: starts off normal and dwindles down to a drizzle. We checked the pressure at the tank in the pit and it was 30 psi, when the water is turned on inside the house, the pressure in the pit stays steady and the pressure in the house dwindles at the faucet. My uncle came and looked at it and said he thinks that it may be a pinched line between the well pit and the house. There is a tree between the two and he thinks possibly a root grew too close to the line. I have no clue and I don't have the money to have a plumber come out. Also I did a patch job on the hose nozzle awhile ago, there is a small crack in the pipe coming out from under the house and I used a piece of vinyl and some hose clamps to seal it temporarily. Money is tight and we are trying to make due with a house that needs repairs and three kids. I know this is a ton of information, but I figured it is better to be thorough and give as much info as possible. I would appreciate if anyone could give me any insight or confirm my uncles suspicion before we go digging up the yard. I have mechanical knowledge, but plumbing is not my area of expertise. If more information is needed please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Don't do anything until you have changed the pressure gauge. They are cheap, maybe 5 bucks. If you then always show good pressure at the well pit, even while the water trickles in the house, then maybe the tree root thing is possible. If the pressure on that gauge is low when you experience the "trickle", then you have other problems. Maybe you just need to replace the filter cartridge more often. Or the large amount of sediment could have damaged your pump or stopped up the well.

Joline86

Reaction score
Thank you. I will see about changing the pressure gauge and the filter and see what that does.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It also sounds like your well is going dry. The water level may be dropping to low for your pump. When you wait the water table may be rising up high enough for the pump to start pumping again and build enough pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks