(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running wire for island receptacle in kitchen remodel

Default Running wire for island receptacle in kitchen remodel

From what I have read, I am required by the NEC to have a receptacle in a kitchen island. (I would like one anyways) Problem is this is a kitchen remodel and it never had an island. I would need to go from the bar to the island, ~40", to supply power. Slab construction.

Is there any way with minimal concrete busting?

I'm thinking drop cord from a reel at the ceiling The wife isn't too keen on that, though.

What are my options?
    Travis

When I need a precise measurement of something I often use the highly technical method of eyeballing it.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Take up the concrete and I agree with your wife but for different reasons.

Do I use conduit or direct burial kleenex, or something else? The rest of the wiring is nm kleenex.
    Travis

When I need a precise measurement of something I often use the highly technical method of eyeballing it.

(I love the new word for r o m e x (a southwire product) maybe we should use some of it to blow our noses

As far as I know, you don't have to "bust out" the concrete. I think you can groove it an lay in either UF or conduit. Speedey will straigten me out if I have this wrong!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What if you knocked in two holes, a hole at each end and then looped under the slab?
    That way you could save the floor. 40" isn't very far to go.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

You'd need to get at least 2" of cover, so it is best to cut the slab about 4" wide down to the dirt and lay conduit.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you want to tile this area afterwards, you'll want to put in some rebar to help lock it into the existing slab. That can get tricky if the trench is narrow as it's tougher to drill dowels into the slab from a narrow trench. Not sure how you'd mine enough to get a wire under there from each end? Waterjet? Kind of tricky keeping it straight? Misread 40" as 40'...a waterjet could likely mine a tunnel under the slabe with just two holes.

Make sure that the slab is not a post tensioned slab...that cannot be cut or you'll have problems, plus, it can be dangerous as well. Hit one of the high tension reinforcement cables, and it will ruin your day if not your life. These tend to be used in unstable soils or in areas prone to earthquakes.

If there's any way to do a counter to ceiling feature, then your wiring gets much easier.
    Last edited by jadnashua; 12-12-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

When I plumbed my basement bath, I cut the trenches with a regular circular saw and diamond blades. Cut about 3/4" deep each pass until the cut was about 3" deep and then broke it out with a 10 lb hammer. Trickled water from a bike water bottle and followed with the shop vac to keep the dust down.

I cut about 40 feet, and if I had to do it over, I would rent the right tool. BUT, in your case for 2- 40" cuts, a real concrete saw would be way too much hassle & mess.

The new word is also trademarked, wonder how long before Terry gets an E-Mail from them

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

sorry can't read
    Last edited by jwelectric; 12-12-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Cut a groove in the concrete and lay the conduit in it. It will be cemented in so it does NOT need 2" of cover. It is NOT the same as installing a conduit BEFORE the concrete is poured. I hope when you say "A outlet", or "I would like to have ONE anyway", that you do NOT mean you will install a SINGLE outlet on the island.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I was thinking the same thing as Terry suggested. Just punch two holes and tunnel under the slab. I bet I could go 20" from each end by hand with some tools and maybe a 4-6" hole at each end.

I also was thinking about the groove idea. Does it need 2" of cover or not? Does it even need conduit or could a person just use UF or whatever approved wire in a shallow (1"?) trench?
    Travis

Quote Originally Posted by TJanak View Post
    ? Does it even need conduit or could a person just use UF or whatever approved wire in a shallow (1"?) trench?
    I have seen that done. I can't tell you if code approves, although that job was definitely on a permit so presumably was signed off ,

I would put it in conduit even if not required. It will be easy on that short run.

I would not dig out underneath with regular tools... if you leave a pocket under there, the slab support will be compromised and you could get slab cracking, which will most likely transfer to your tile. If you're going to go that route, you need to remove only the amount of dirt needed to put in some conduit, which could be tricky w/o making very large holes on each end.

Def put at least 2 outlets in, even if its a very small island. You need a minimum of one every 4 feet, one on any counter 2' wide, and w/in 2' of the ends. You can never have too many outlets in a kitchen, more is better.