I cant hear drip but there's no leak

Users who are viewing this thread

JJL Jr

Reaction score
For awhile, I have heard a slow drip from the drain in my bathroom sink. I only hear the drip after a shut the faucet off and the water has fully drained. I have not found any water in the basement. This morning, I removed some tile and the wall board to get to the drain pipe. I ran the water again, heard the drip but there's no leak. The drain pipe and surrounding walls and floor are bone dry. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I don't have a leak or mold.

The sink has a P trap that is inserted into the drain pipe. Is it possible that the drip sound is just the residual water dripping off the end of the P trap into the drain pipe? Is there some expansion or contaction of one of the pipes that might cause this? I can't figure this out.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is MORE likely to be an expansion noise caused by hot water running through the pipe and the pipe is "jammed" against a framing member so it cannot expand quietly. IF that is the cause of the sound, it also occurs as the pipe cools down, but that happens slowly, which is why you do not hear it then.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
sometimes the plumber intalling the pipe didn't drill his holes big enough for adaquate clearence and the pipe fits tightly through the joist and or flooring. As the pipe expands it makes a sound exactly like a drip.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even if the holes are large enough, if they are not in alignment, the pipe will still rub against the wood when it expands. If you had asked first, we would have told you the same thing and you would not have had to remove tile and wallboard.

JJL Jr

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I wanted to check for myself as I will be installing a new vanity in place of an old wall hanging sink. The vanity will cover the tile I pulled off the wall. In fact, it gave me a chance to use my Milwaukee multi-tool I bought myself for Christmas. It's a great tool. I was able to easily remove two tiles and cut a small square hole in the sheet rock. I could easily place the tiles back but I think it will use this for access just in case I need it down the road.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I had a "flat run of drain" that would drip for a long time down the vertical and drove people nuts that could hear.

Hube

Reaction score
A little "proof reading" is needed here. There is a lot of difference in the word "CAN'T" and the word "CAN
I think you meant to say........ I CAN HEAR DRIP BUT THERE'S NO LEAK

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks