(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFCI Questions

Default AFCI Questions

I hope that you had a good Christmas with your love ones....
    My house will be rewire after new year with provision for additional circuits. I understand that every living spaces now requires AFCI breakers (excluding kitchen and bathroom). Right now my washer and gas dryer is located in a closet room in the family room. A new laundry room will be build after plans gets approved (small extension build) with their dedicated circuits. My question is, Will the AFCI breaker will cause problems with the washer and dryer? Again this is temporary until the new extension gets completed.
    Thanks.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Washer and dryer do not need Arc-Fault protection
    Only the 125 volt 15 and 20 circuits will need AF potection

Quote Originally Posted by romumok View Post
    I hope that you had a good Christmas with your love ones....
    My house will be rewire after new year with provision for additional circuits. I understand that every living spaces now requires AFCI breakers (excluding kitchen and bathroom). Right now my washer and gas dryer is located in a closet room in the family room. A new laundry room will be build after plans gets approved (small extension build) with their dedicated circuits. My question is, Will the AFCI breaker will cause problems with the washer and dryer? Again this is temporary until the new extension gets completed.
    Thanks.
    Like JW said the New install should not require AF protection.

It sounds like you want to run them temporarily on a protected outlet for now, until your room is built.

If your dryer has electronic ignition, It could trip the breaker. And You should not continue to use it.

You would just to Hide and watch, but gas is not safe, when the ignition does not work properly.

If it trips the breaker then I would not use it.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Thank you all for your advice. Just to clarify a bit, I don't have a dryer only a washer. Yep, the house never had a gas or electrical connection for a dryer since I bought it a 6 years ago. I either dry my clothes the old fashion way with the clothe line in the back yard or go to my parents house (long story). This the the reason why the extension build is being planned to include dedicated laundry room.

I understand your concern about gas dryer, but where I live is pretty common as long as the done properly.
    Understood.... No need of AFCI in the laundry room, only GFCI. So, do you think or have you seen the the motor or contactors/solenoids in the washer will trip the AFCI as well?

Again right now the family room circuit has a regular Fed Pacific breaker. But after the whole house rewire the room will have an AFCI breaker. I guess if washer trips the breaker, I have to get the AFCI changed for a regular one until the new laundry room gets build.
    Last edited by romumok; 12-27-2011 at 10:46 AM.

There is no requirement to install arc fault circuits in the laundry area. There is no requirement to install GFCI in the laundry area unless there is a sink within 6 feet of the receptacle.

210.8 (7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks — where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

210.12 (B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    There is no requirement to install arc fault circuits in the laundry area. There is no requirement to install GFCI in the laundry area unless there is a sink within 6 feet of the receptacle.

210.8 (7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks — where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

210.12 (B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.
    definition of outlets includes light fixtures as well as outlets, correct? i know all outlets in the bedrooms used to be just just the recepts but was changed to include lighting (and smoke detectors) in each room from what i read on mike holt. what about living room lights and din. room lights? i am wiring my house with those separate from the outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Schloss View Post
    definition of outlets includes light fixtures as well as outlets, correct?
    this is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Schloss View Post
    i know all outlets in the bedrooms used to be just just the recepts but was changed to include lighting (and smoke detectors) in each room from what i read on mike holt. what about living room lights and din. room lights? i am wiring my house with those separate from the outlets.
    This is correct and is only needed in those areas outlined in the post above

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have been meaning to ask, lol. I have all the wires ran to the panel waiting to be connected and have bought most breakers, but was holding off on those two

all lights and receptacles in these areas

I know it isn't listed or required but if the bath lights are on AFCI is that ok? I planned to have the smoke detectors on an AFCI and tie the bath lighting onto that as well as a front closet light and an attic light/outlet.
    I know about the separate 20a GFCI circuit for the bath recepts and was running that separately.

Yes this will be okay and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Arc-Fault breakers are not very unforgiving is the circuits are not installed properly

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Yes this will be okay and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Arc-Fault breakers are not very unforgiving is the circuits are not installed properly
    Actually I got to see how an arc fault breaker actually protected a fault in an outlet last week. I tried to plug in a vacuum in the bedroom and it tripped the afci. thought that was strange since i've been reading how they are not supposed to trip on motor loads. i reset it, it came back on just fine. lights/tv all worked until i tried the vacuum again. then i started taking the outlets apart, looking for anything. i found a loose connection that was not properly twisted together in one of the boxes. it was just connected enough for the lighting but would arc when the load of the vacuum was plugged in. after I repaired the connection, no problems since then.

chad,
    Thanks for sharing your experience with AFCI breakers. I will remember your post if there any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by romumok View Post
    chad,
    Thanks for sharing your experience with AFCI breakers. I will remember your post if there any issues.

That is good that Chad took the time to repair the problem.

Sounds like the AFCI did exactly what it was designed to do.

Good Job Chad.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Funny, but I would have torn into the vaccum first.