OK to connect nonmetallic 10/2 whip to breaker box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I bought a 240V garage heater that I am mounting on the ceiling near my circuit panel. Would connecting the 1/2" whip directly to the panel violate code? Or do I have to use EMT to run a junction box and then connect the whip to that?
Thanks

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I bought a 240V garage heater that I am mounting on the ceiling near my circuit panel. Would connecting the 1/2" whip directly to the panel violate code? Or do I have to use EMT to run a junction box and then connect the whip to that?
Thanks
Got a picture or a link? Is your panel surface mount?
There is also a dedicated work space around a panel 30" wide, 36" deep, 6' high. Simply put the workspace is equal to the size of a refrigerator box.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
No, there is no plug on the heater. It is made to be hardwired. Here's a picture of what I did.

IMG_20111227_081858.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I had a comment all typed out but decided that it would be better left alone. I will say you have some issues that needs addressing

JWelectric

Reaction score
Can you please be more specific?

Using the kindest words that I know, If I was an electrical inspector in your area and saw this you would have 30 days to correct or lose power until it was.

I highly recommend that you hire a licensed well established electrician to make repairs and to do this soon

All I can see is the picture but that is enough to make me wonder just who did this and what might be behind what we can’t see.

Someone removed a flush mount panel and reinstalled one surface mounted. There are exposed nonmetallic cables entering a hole above the panel that must be fished down the wall. This is enough to tell me someone has added circuits. If they did not have enough pride in their work to do any better job than they did with the panel then those new circuits must be one cluster ****.

Being everything in the picture is #12 it reflects the mindset that they feel they have done something fantastic as everything is now better when reality it isn’t.

By the way the pipe and flex you installed is not strapped down as it is required to be.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Ok, I appreciate the input (as discomforting as it is to hear). We purchased this home earlier this year and the inspector didn't raise any issues with the electrical. I realize that home inspectors are not all-knowing, but we counted on him to be more knowledgeable than us.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Ok, I appreciate the input (as discomforting as it is to hear). We purchased this home earlier this year and the inspector didn't raise any issues with the electrical. I realize that home inspectors are not all-knowing, but we counted on him to be more knowledgeable than us.

Many times the Inspectors work for the real estate company, Especially if the loan is thru them or you pay Cash. They may not know, and could care less. The sale puts money in their pocket.

I want some talking money. It must grow on special trees.

Looks like you will be warm for the winter.

Have a safe Holiday.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Did you hire this inspector?

Maybe you need to contact these people
http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/hi/

May I use this picture?

Last edited:

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Did you hire this inspector?

Maybe you need to contact these people
http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/hi/

May I use this picture?

Use the picture for what? I have to say, all of this feedback is very unsettling. The previous owners had a lot of work done on the house and I had assumed had inspectors check it. We hired the inspector we used and there was no connection to the sellers.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Use the picture for what? I have to say, all of this feedback is very unsettling. The previous owners had a lot of work done on the house and I had assumed had inspectors check it. We hired the inspector we used and there was no connection to the sellers.

I don't mean to get you upset. I do have your best interest at heart.

Like I said in my post all I have to go on is the picture. I am not there to see what else is going on. I will say that if the home inspector did not write anything up then they didn't do a very good job.

Check your PM and please reply.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I don't mean to get you upset. I do have your best interest at heart.

Like I said in my post all I have to go on is the picture. I am not there to see what else is going on. I will say that if the home inspector did not write anything up then they didn't do a very good job.

Check your PM and please reply.

I just tried to reply to your PM but your box is full. You do have my permission to use the photo; thank you for asking. I do appreciate that you are offering helpful input and that you're going on what you see.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Thank you for letting me know, i have emptyed it

I will also keep you informed about how it is going over there.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks