How to remove plastic pipe stuck inside copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Libinius

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a pipe problem (see picture below). I had a plastic pipe that was screwed into a copper pipe, but the plastic pipe broke and now the plastic end piece (about a half-inch length of plastic pipe) is stuck inside the copper pipe. I don't have enough of a grip to screw the plastic piece out, nor was I successful with pliers. I tried to cut the pipe with an exacto knife a few times but I can't seem to cut it deep and straight enough.
Any way I can get the plastic piece out? Maybe some solvent...

The copper pipe is very long and I hope I don't have to learn how to cut and weld copper instead.
Appreciate anybody's suggestions!

IMG_3451.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I would find a chisel that would be narrow enough to not damage the threads, and hammer it into the end of the mess you have there.

Libinius

Reaction score
dlarrivee, thanks but there's about half an inch in length of plastic pipe still twisted inside the copper pipe so I don't think a chisel would be very effective.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can't sweat copper, you have no business trying to repair copper plumbing. I don't know where or how you're going with the pipe after the PVC is removed without sweating. My advice is to get a torch, solder, flux, emery cloth, and some scraps of copper and learn to solder. It's not rocket science, but does have to be done correctly. BTW, PVC is not supposed to be used for water lines inside the house. The simple answer to the repair is to heat the joint and remove the adapter from the pipe, wipe the end of the pipe to remove the excess solder while it is still hot. Then sweat a new fitting on the pipe.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
dlarrivee, thanks but there's about half an inch in length of plastic pipe still twisted inside the copper pipe so I don't think a chisel would be very effective.

I didn't mean chiseling it out.

Hammer the chisel in place and turn it out with a wrench or pliers... Treat the chisel like the shank of a bit.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Make two cuts through the entire length of plastic about 1/2" apart. Pick out the 1/2" section and then collapse the remaining plastic and pull it out with needle nose pliers.

John

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Ok, I considered that CPVC is still made with PVC, Thanks for correcting me.

I do like your Idea John on how to remove the old pipe.

PVC is easy to work with, and should not be very hard to remove.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I have the same idea as BobL 43

It would be nice to have a tool of that, If you have time to wait and order it.

the "nipple/pipe extractor" would be nice, but Tools like that are something a Pro would have.
Not very cost effective just for 1 time use.

A good utility knife should cut PVC without damaging the threads.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a tool of that, If you have time to wait and order it.

the "nipple/pipe extractor" would be nice, but Tools like that are something a Pro would have.
Not very cost effective just for 1 time use.

A good utility knife should cut PVC without damaging the threads.
I bought mine many moons ago at the ACE harware store near me. When I used to have landscapers cut the grass for me, they fairly often used to break off the sprinkler head risers at the tees in the ground and deny it of course. It was just easier to buy this cheap tool and use it as it was designed for just this purpose. I would not consider it a Pro tool at all. If you have a sprinkler system, it is a very handy little cheap tool. Besides, we guys need all the tools we can round up before we croak, don't we?:p

DonL

Reaction score
Besides, we guys need all the tools we can round up before we croak, don't we?:p

Very True, and make sure that your wife knows how too use them.

That way they don't end up in the Garage Sale box marked , "All Junk 50 cents"

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Very True, and make sure that your wife knows how too use them.

That way they don't end up in the Garage Sale box marked , "All Junk 50 cents"
My wife is no J. A. P. she works hard and earns her keep. Good Looking too, what a find! I'll keep her.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You can heat the copper with a butane large lighter to soften the plastic, Then turn it out with the $3.49 sprinkler riser extractor or a tapered file that fits inside.

Eferrini

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber and I'm sure this isn't a better solution than cutting and sweating. But if this pipe isn't buried behind a wall, one option available is cutting this off and simply attaching a sharkbite to establish the new connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks