Water level drop

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Plastic.

That's a nice touch. Won't the Thermal Mass of the Plastic fatigue with the cycling of hot and cold water? Or is the plastic special German Plastic that is molecularly designed for thermal stresses.....

LOL

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Oh , John , c'mon ....not again .

I don't want to know , nor I am interested to know how the S drain was born LOL

I don't care about the plastic thinggeeee .....is not in the box ........I really do like the ACO strainer .

We also past the strainer -- touch and see -- through some hands in the room there .... the vendor , the cashier , me......Hahahahaha.

Now , send the tile police after me since I don't use the S products as intended . Am I out of my mind -- design my own grate -- not to respect -- to the Tee -- the recommendations from the package -- not one language , not 2 books , but 3 different surplus items !? --

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
English Question

Roberto do you have the plastic hair strainer?

I'd like to buy it. Just for my own research.

Want to compare flow rates and molecular structure of the water particles passing through the vortex of the concave design. In Ancient Greece they used woven non-modifed grape vines for the first hair strainer. Later the Egyptians used reeds bonded and dried in the sun to catch hair before it enter the Nile.

I'll go as high as $4.00 for your plastic strainer.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
In French

Roberto avez-vous la crépine de cheveux en plastique?

Je voudrais acheter. Juste pour mes propres recherches.

Vouloir comparer des débits et de la structure moléculaire des particules d'eau passant à travers le vortex de la conception concave. Dans la Grèce antique, ils ont utilisé tissés vignes non modifed pour la première crépine de cheveux. Plus tard, les Egyptiens roseaux utilisés collés et séchés au soleil pour attraper les cheveux avant d'entrer dans le Nil.

Je vais aller aussi haut que 4,00 $ pour votre strainer.Roberto plastique vous avez la crépine de cheveux en plastique?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
In Spanish

Roberto ¿tienes la trampa de pelo de plástico?

Me gustaría comprarlo. Sólo por mi propia investigación.

¿Quieres comparar las tasas de flujo y la estructura molecular de las partículas de agua que pasa a través del vórtice del diseño cóncavo. En la antigua Grecia se utilizaron tejidos vides de uva no modifed por primera trampa de pelo. Más tarde, los egipcios utilizaban cañas unidas y se secan al sol para coger el pelo antes de que entre en el Nilo.

Voy a ir tan alto como $ 4.00 para su strainer.Roberto plástico tiene usted la trampa de pelo de plástico?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I always mix MFG products, orange , blue, green all of em. Whatevers in my trunk that day. How else can i claim to have built a custom shower?

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
John , I would give it to you for free , but it is not there -- poking you -- in the box . I should've read the instructions .....I think I will call Erich von Däniken .

Oh man , we need more smilies LOL:D

C'est beaucoup plus chere une crepine ....comme ça

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
It looks slippery , but it is not , RSCB .Thanks . Not all of the linear pieces from the mosaic mix are glossy . And there is a pretty good percentage of joints .

The grout used for the shower floor , back of the bench and niche --only for the linear glass mosaic mix -- was the Spectralock Pro Grout with the Silver Dazzle .

View attachment 24528

View attachment 24529

View attachment 24530

View attachment 24532

View attachment 24531

Roberto, that is one of the coolest shower/ tile designs I've seen. Bravo, man.

Reaction score
Jean-Claude ,

It appears that your pan is filled almost to the top of the curb . What we are seeing in your photo is just normal . Filling the pan almost to the top of the curb combined with the wicking of the Kerdi results in the water going on the other side of the curb .

I don't think you have a flood test failed , but is the wicking normal ? With Kerdi it is ........

With a liquid membrane -- Hydroban -- or cementituous membrane -- Ardex 8+9 , PRP 315 -- the wicking condition would not have happened .

Thanks!

Reaction score
The photos do not look like any normal Kerdi shower build I've seen. It appears there is sharp aggregate in the mortar used to bed the Kerdi.

Also, is that Ditra under the Kerdi on the shower floor?

It is the schluter shower kit surrounded by a custom bench on 2 sides. The floor is using the schluter floor pan.

Reaction score
John , Did you monitor -- every hour or so for the length of your 72 h flood test -- the wicking of the water over the Kerdi membrane -- in a recommended installation -- on vertical surfaces ?

If you look at the highlighted picture link you can see the water line an inch or so above the Kerdi band , which is about 2'' or so over the shower pan .

The mention of the wicking only 1/4 inch on the vertical wall and then on top of the curb -- in the red highlighted quote from OP -- tells us that the water level of the flood test is only 1/4 inch below the top of the curb .

That's all we've got to form an opinion , but no definitive certainty . Without any follow up , few opinions are correct -- hopefully it ill not be the last entry of the OP concerns before vault lock down -- .:)
The original water line was in in fact just 1/4" below the top of the curb. The water was about 5" deep.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I would run a bead of Kerdi Fix along the top of the curb. Or top the curb with a little Ardex 8+9. Either would act like a capillary break for the flood test.

If your using a tile profile for the curb top you could set that with Kerdi fix and that would be an awesome capillary break. If you are setting 3/8" tile I recommend a 1/2" or 5/8" Stainless steel profile. This will allow some setting material below and account for the grading of the curb.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Jean Claude - I hope my tips help you out. You do realize that Schluter has no specification for a capillary break. They require flood testing but offer up no insight for this capillary leaking.

I don't think Noble has a spec either.

Nor does Laticrete.

Yet all will suffer from the same fate unless you tackle the capillary beast. Thanks for liking my post. I'm sure Jim will respond and tell you my idea is crazy. Not allowed. That your warranty will be screwed or to double check on the John Bridge forum.

But those ya who's don't know either.

I had the pictures up before but deleted my Kerdi info....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Capillary action requires a pond of water. Once you put your tile on top and grout it, the amount of liquid water that gets underneath the tile is miniscule and over a membrane, if your slope is proper, that that does not flow down the drain on top of the tiled surface and soaks in will evaporate before it gets a chance to wick anywhere it could cause damage. But, if your slopes are incorrect, you could have an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks