(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How much should the water level drop in a Kerdi Shower flood test?

Very true. I do agree. I am going to use bostik epoxy grout. Any good ?

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Posts removed by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 10:53 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

I agree flood test is a mandatory thing. Membrane will always stay wet. Even if a little water gets there. How do you guys feel about urethane and epoxy grouts ?

Blog Entries

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

While costly, and if you like the look, epoxy based grouts should be a lifetime install without regular maintenance. You can get some special effects with them (glow in black light, for example or glitter), if that's something that may go with the install design. Some are harder to install on the vertical than others (because it can slump a little), and cleanup is critical (but regular grout needs good cleanup, too) as it's harder to clean again afterwards if you miss some. Epoxy grouts have improved over the years to become easier to install and their colors will be brighter than any cement based grout.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I installed a euro thane or epoxy. Can't remember which it was in my parents shower. It was cleaner but yes the film was annoying took me a good 4 hours with caulking in the corners. Not sure. But with epoxy or eurothane grouts is it still necessary to caulk the corners ? Or is the grout just fine ?

Industry standards call for caulk at the changes of plane (corners, floor/wall joints, etc.). Urethane remains somewhat flexible, so you could likely use it everywhere...epoxy does not. You likely used epoxy as, in a wear surface, it's harder and stronger. Epoxy would remain easier to clean as it is a very smooth surface. Abrasion can rough up urethane.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

Default Kerdi Flood testing under tight time frames

Blog Entries

Default Another year of testing Kerdi Showers - Water Level Drop = Level of Evaporation Only

Hi John, I have a related question. And by the way you can view my thread at home/garden forum too, under same username.

I flood tested my shower earlier in the week and didn't lose anything over 24 hours. As a DIYer that made me feel good. Installed the kerdi over the schluter tray.

But, 8 hours after I drained the water, the kerdi on the floor is still damp. I would have thought it bone dry by now. Most of the thinset seams are damp looking too (dark grey). Am I over thinking this?

Blog Entries

John, thanks so much. My lurking here has been very enlightening and your personal response is appreciated.

All dry now! And I used the Kerdi tray thinsetted on a level floor. The dampness in the kerdi on the floor is what bothered me. But given that I had no measurable drop in water over the 24 hours of flood test I feel good that there is no breech in the kerdi/thinseName:  IMG-20140103-00054.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  50.0 KBName:  P1020790.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  37.6 KB

These pics are pre curb and flood test, bottom one is now, and you can see a haze over the kerdi, all dry.
    Name:  Salt Lake City-20140109-00057.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  33.8 KB
    Thanks again!

A flood test is the one and only likely time you'll have standing water in a shower for anywhere near that timeframe. Yes, there may be a small amount underneath the tile if it is used lots, but the head, or pressure there is significantly lower than when you have 2-3" or more of water sitting directly on the membrane and the fact you have a layer of thinset embedded into the fleece holding the tile in place. The cement in the thinset will continue to cure for a very long time...the crystals cross-link, making not only the bond stronger, but its ability to block water better, too. A flood test can be performed at the minimum of 24-hours after install with Kerdi. Some get away with it overnight, but things do need to cure a bit. Thinset is specified after a 28-day cure, and for example, the cement deep in the Hoover dam is still warm from continued curing, many years after it was poured.
    Jim DeBruycker

Blog Entries

Default Kerdi Flood Test - Wilkinte DIY 24 Hour PASS

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Jim:

This is OT, but I used to work with Sanders in the 90s, guessing that's where you were. Good times back then. I was a gov customer at the time on an EW effort and I always appreciated the pros in New England. Glad to see you got to retire, so many of us defense workers had to move on to something else.

And John thanks for the kudos, I'll give you chances to see my stupidity when I start tiling. I just did marks around the wall. Over the 24 hours didn't see much evap (basement job).

Tom Wilkins