Installing Clothes Washer/Dryer in Basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Still_Waters_43

Reaction score
I need to relocate a clothes washer and dryer to the basement.

My question is how do I get rid of the water. I have a floor drain into a sump pump to a storm sewer, I am assuming that's a no-no.

There are plumbing pipes at the ceiling level (about 8' up). So if I can hook up to these do I need some sort of pump to get the water up there or will the washer handle this itself?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A small basin and pump is better for that.
They will pump up the the pipes.

It's too far for the washer.

sk2011.gif

105Drainmaker.jpg

Zoeller Pumps

Still_Waters_43

Reaction score
On checking out the various hookups I have the gas, water and drain figured out, but from the drawings of the drain sump pumps it seems that I also have to hook up a vent.

As there were no plumbing fixtures in my basement there are no vent pipes where I can tie into. Could someone tell me if typical plumbing code would allow me to vent out the side of the house?. :confused:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I think an AAV ( Air Admittance Valve ) is just what the doctor ordered. It will look something like this.

aavalv2.jpg

You can find them at the big box stores. When installed have the valve 4" above the highest part of the washer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aav

If the pump unit is installed properly, with a trap at the washing machine, then it is a closed system and an AAV will not allow the washer water to enter the pit.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
HJ your right, I haven't had my coffee yet.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Vent the Sump Only

Recognizing that we are only dealing with washing machine water as long as we prevent backflow, I would put the sump in with an inside vent to only serve the washing machine and have the pump discharge pump directly into an already vented drain pipe at the higher level. There would be check valve in the discharge line of the pump, and maybe a trap at the high level where the drain pipe already exists.

Grainger sells several small sump and pump systems (Stock numbers 4RK74, 4NY91, and 3XA92, price range $218.50 to $420) that look like they would do the job.

Every serious "do everything possible yourself" homeowner should have a Grainger catalog, if only for the ideas and price estimates.

Still_Waters_43

Reaction score
My problem is that there is no availible vent pipe to tie into. I am right beside a wall that already has a vent & intake for my furnace. So, could I tie into the furnace vent or maybe run a separate vent thru the wall? :confused:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Vent

I'm not a plumber but I'm a civil and mechanical engineer. Here's my solution and the plumbers will probably tell you why it doesn't meet code; but it will work. Remember that you are only extending the hose of your washing machine with a little extra pumping power.

Put the sump (one of the smaller Grainger models for example; I would pick the 4RK74) on the floor beside your washing machine. Run your washing machine discharge hose into the sump. You need a "vent" in the sump just to admit the water from the washing machine, and that should run to near the ceiling of the room where it is installed.

Connect the discharge of the pump in the sump through a hose or pipe (at least as large as a washing machine hose but with secure clamps on both ends) to the drain line that is 8 ft up, or to any properly vented drain on a higher floor from which the water will reliably run down hill. I would put one of those plastic check valves in the discharge line if there is not already one in the pump.

If you connect to the existing drain, pipe it directly into a tee/wye in a drain pipe that is already properly vented. I would come in from above the line and put a trap in your inlet discharge line. I would try to select a place with at least a 2" drain because washing machines discharge water at a high rate and you will get a pretty good slug of water when the sump pump starts.

Still_Waters_43

Reaction score
Quote: You need a "vent" in the sump just to admit the water from the washing machine, and that should run to near the ceiling of the room where it is installed.

:confused: After it reaches the ceiling where does it go then?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
What to Do With Air Vent

Leave it open. It is only a vent to let the air out of the sump so the washing machine can discharge to the sump. The pump in the sump pumps the water out and the water never rises above the float in the sump.

Think of the sump as the equivalent of an open sink. The vent that you have in the sump is the equivalent of the open top of the sink.

In fact, you could install a sink in the basement next to the washer and simply connect a pump to the outlet of the sink. Hook the end of the washing machine hose over the edge of the sink (wire it in place). Put a float switch in the sink, or better in a standpipe next to the sink in the line between the sink and the pump. Now you have a sink in your basement as well as a washing machine, served by the same pump .

Total equipment required:
Sink + Pump + Float switch + Pipe to existing drain

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
Vent it.

The 105 model from Zoeller has to be used with a laundry tray above the sump pit and has to be vented to open atmosphere! ;) The air admittance valve will do nothing but cause problems with this system! Hooking up the washing machine straight into the tub will also cause problems with short cycling and leaks from the turbulance the washing machine produces! :eek: If you have any questions please call Zoeller tech line at 1-800-928-7867 ext 6

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Put the sump (one of the smaller Grainger models for example; I would pick the 4RK74) on the floor beside your washing machine. Run your washing machine discharge hose into the sump.

Unless the pump is strong enough to pump the water out as fast as the washer is emptying, the pump's sump had better be large enough to contain the excess or it will overflow. "One of the smaller Grainger models" will not do either.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you hook the discharge hose directly into the sump on the floor the washer will only fill to the highest level of the discharge hose which will not be high enough to do a full load. It will gravity drain and not wash clothes corectly do to low water. It may continualy run trying to fill and never get there. I have run into this problem with people who have a low washer drain pipe and couldn't figure out why their washer would not do full loads.

Last edited:

Still_Waters_43

Reaction score
Where to exit vent

My setup is like the 3rd diagram in Terry's post #2. So I will have the sump basin, then a laundry tub and then the washer (which will drain into the sink).

My ? is the vent, can I exit out the side of the house (and if so would that normally meet code)??? :confused:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No it would not meet code but it would work. The only possible problem might be the vent pluging with frost. If you do vent out the side, install a 90 heading down and put a screen of some sort on it.

Still_Waters_43

Reaction score
Thanks Cass, one other option I could have is the following, there are side of the house intake & also vent for my furnace. Would it be in code if I tie into the furnace vent?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flue is offlimits to a plumbing vent...they must remain separate as I understand it.

CityKid

Reaction score
Just bought a home and am having kind of the same problem. The stack for the WM to drain into is not at the ceiling, but it is about four feet off the floor. I take it the 30" for the drain would put the WM hose at about the ceiling level, correct. This also would need a pump? Thanks all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks