Still struggling to find shower leak:

Users who are viewing this thread

oldberkeley

Reaction score
I removed the shower head and capped the shower pipe stem with a threaded cap.

Turned on the water, left it for 15 minutes, no leak in the basement.

Question: Can I now safely assume that the leak is not in the pipes behind the wall?

TIA.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably, but depending on the path the water needs to take, not certain. How long does it take for water to appear when you are showering? If it shows up in less than the 15-minutes you allowed, it's likely not the pipes.

Is this a tiled shower, a preformed shower receptor, a one-piece surround, or what? Does the floor flex when you stand and move around in the shoewr?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Is it a tub with shower or just a shower?

I saw on TV the other day a leak that was activated by the tub filler diverter. When the tub was filled there was no leak but when the divertor was pulled the pipe leaked like a mother. I have never seen this before but who knows this might be the cause in your case.

JW

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is it a tub with shower or just a shower?

I saw on TV the other day a leak that was activated by the tub filler diverter. When the tub was filled there was no leak but when the divertor was pulled the pipe leaked like a mother. I have never seen this before but who knows this might be the cause in your case.

JW

When just filling the tub, there's no (well, practically no) resistance to the water flow, and it just flows out the spout. WHen you activate the diverter spout, it caps the spout off and forces water out (hopefully only) the shower head. If there's any poor connection (say missing pipe dope/tape, split el, or a bad o-ring in a push on) in the path to the spout, it could easily also flow out into the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks