Kinetico Water Softner 10 years old. UK compact under sink model

Users who are viewing this thread

JaysJimlad

Reaction score
Plan view of Softner email.jpg Brine tube & Float system email.jpg
I have a Kinetico softener, which I had new 10 years ago. Like everyone on this forum I can't locate any info on troubleshooting problems. Also I can't relate my model to any US/Canadian models - I can't find any model number on the system. Mine is twin cylinder, see picture and the cylinders sit in the brine, all enclosed in a single tank. I use 2 block salt refills, each block is about 8.8 lb in weight. They stand on an open fret to ensure only the bottom edge of the blocks are in the water/brine
I have a problem whereby the system regenerates correctly on one cylinder, i.e. ‘Brine – Rinse’ & ‘backwash’, which finishes by providing about 3/8th inch depth of water to interface with the bottom edge of the block salt. However, when the other cylinder is in regeneration, ‘Brine – Rinse’ is OK but at the end of backwash the water can be heard to be continually running, I think to drain and the 3/8th inch depth of water to interface with the bottom edge of the block salt is not supplied.

So it is working one side but not the other!!

My assumption is that I will need to get into the mechanism on top of the main cylinder and investigate what is malfunctioning??

Has anyone got info on which ring of bolts I open first, the inner or outer first or all of them - is there a set order of undoing has anyone ant pictures or info please?

Jaysjimlad

Attachments

• Plan view of Softner for email.jpg
    Plan view of Softner for email.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,396
  • Brine tube & Float system for email.jpg
    Brine tube & Float system for email.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,155
Last edited:

JaysJimlad

Reaction score
Hi mialynette2003,

Thank you for your response. Email is on it's way.

I hope it will show me the detail of what the two diameters of bolts locate to, so I can start the disassembly??:confused:

I don't want to end up breaking any seals that will require me to get replacements, that assumes I as a consumer/user can buy Kinetico spares.
If anyone knows how I could obtain patrs I would appreciate your advice.

I hope I will start the disassembly tomorrow - hopefully :) or :(

Jays Jimlad :eek:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
On Youtube there are a large number of how to videos of guys working on Kinetico softeners.

I don't know that you can get an old unit apart without damaging or needing to replace gaskets. And if you have a softener from the UK, the parts may not be the same as their newer parts.

You may want to talk to:
http://www.harveywatersofteners.co.uk/

Chevy427

Reaction score
That unit corresponds to the US version 2020 (with 6" tanks). There are a couple a versions of the 2020. Disassembling the valve is quite easy with just a few things to keep in mind. Never use any petroleum products for lubrication or sealing. Let me know if you get the diagrams.

Running to the drains may be caused by a few problems including quad-rings o-rings that have suffered from chlorinated water, quad-rings may be rolled, pinched, dirty or cracked, lose in incoming water pressure, foreign matter preventing a piston from shutting, balance piston not seating properly, scored control disc, etc. Most of these can be remedied easily. A scored disc, which is not common, would require replacement.

Do you have a pre-filter to eliminate chlorine and/or catch sediment?

Not sure how "Harvey" can help as they are competitors and not complimentary to Kinetico equipment.

Ozzy

Reaction score
View attachment 14903 View attachment 14904
I have a Kinetico softener, which I had new 10 years ago. Like everyone on this forum I can't locate any info on troubleshooting problems. Also I can't relate my model to any US/Canadian models - I can't find any model number on the system. Mine is twin cylinder, see picture and the cylinders sit in the brine, all enclosed in a single tank. I use 2 block salt refills, each block is about 8.8 lb in weight. They stand on an open fret to ensure only the bottom edge of the blocks are in the water/brine
I have a problem whereby the system regenerates correctly on one cylinder, i.e. ‘Brine – Rinse’ & ‘backwash’, which finishes by providing about 3/8th inch depth of water to interface with the bottom edge of the block salt. However, when the other cylinder is in regeneration, ‘Brine – Rinse’ is OK but at the end of backwash the water can be heard to be continually running, I think to drain and the 3/8th inch depth of water to interface with the bottom edge of the block salt is not supplied.

So it is working one side but not the other!!

My assumption is that I will need to get into the mechanism on top of the main cylinder and investigate what is malfunctioning??

Has anyone got info on which ring of bolts I open first, the inner or outer first or all of them - is there a set order of undoing has anyone ant pictures or info please?

Jaysjimlad

Hi jaysjimlad, did you have any luck with your softener? If not we can help you if you would like to get in touch. www.s-s-s.biz

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks