Shower glass....to the ceiling or not!

Users who are viewing this thread

anto172

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone have any input to whether the shower glass should go up to the ceiling or not? there will be a door that will have an opening to allow steam to escape. any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IMPO, I wouldn't put the glass to the ceiling unless I had installed a vapor barrior beneath and it tiled the ceiling as well as the walls. Bathing the ceiling in a lot of steam during a (series) of long, hot showers would give any painted surfaces a pretty big stressful hit.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As long as there's an opening, whether an opening transom, a shorter door, or from the walls not going all the way to the ceiling, you should be okay. You need an opening unless you build it as a steam shower which has a different set of build parameters.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even steam showers NEED a vent for safety purposes. Steam WILL NOT support life, (if it did they could not use steam to extinguish fires), and if the room is full of steam, you WILL die, (as several people in Arizona found out last year during a "steam lodge" ceremony).

Last edited:

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it looks better to not take it all the way to the ceiling, personally. I'm doing my master bath with frameless panels that go up to about regular door height. You barely notice the top of the glass, and it lets it vent out well, but still holds a good bit of heat in. I think the small opening looks weirder than just leaving the whole top open, but each person's taste will vary there.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The subject of shower construction has lots of different views and opinions.

Much of what we like stems from the "Design" side or the "Cosmetic" side. A glass panel floor to ceiling looks great! A glass panel set into the curb and recessed into the drywall so no UChannel or silicone is seen looks even better? If cost was not a hurdle like it is in many renovations you can have your cake and eat it to.

If however your bathroom is large and the fan is a long way from the shower the shower may never dry out completely. If you like a dry shower you may have to leave the door open and that is not the same look you might be after.

A transome and a well place fan will draw air out the top of a shower and allow air to enter around the door.

Consider these points when planing your HVAC and end "Look"

You might also consider the fact that a floor to wall glass panel can support a door where a 7' floor mounted glass panel can not.

Good Luck,

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks