Kohler K 304 rough in help

Users who are viewing this thread

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
I'm installing two of these valves in my bath re-do. One in a stand alone 4 piece shower stall and one in a stand alone tub. Question pertains to the shower: Does this valve have to be mounted to wood blocking within the wall? or can it just be mounted to the acrylic shower wall. It seems too heavy to just hang on the acrylic, won't it warp it as time goes by? I should also mention that PEX is being used which offers no support like copper would.

Thanks

Brian <2stolls@gmail.com

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Both the tub and shower valves must be securely attached to blocking. Even if the pipes were copper, that alone is indadequate support. Sandwiching the acrylic to the valve body helps to stabilize the acrylic. It is NOT proper support for the valve.
On a side note, plan carefully regarding the depth of the valve with respect to the location of the final finished wall surface.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The valves must be solidly blocked, and you can't use PEX for the tub spout.

The tub spout will need either copper or full size nipples. I use brass.

Because the interior dimensions of PEX is smaller, and the PEX fittings reduce in size even more, PEX will force water out of the shower head when filling the tub.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...-Kohler-Rite-Temp-bath-amp-shower-valve-K-304

k-304-r02.jpg

moen-tub-outlet.jpg

Last edited:

dunkinidaho

Reaction score
Thanks, it's as I thought. I've installed blocking in the tub wall today and tomorrow the shower. I will be using copper for the shower outlet and bath spout. The PEX is supply lines only. This is a manufactured home in fla. which is the reason for the PEX. Terry, I will be capping the shower outlet on the 304 for the tub since the tub has no shower and capping the tub outlet for the shower. Will this take care of the water being forced out?

Brian

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks