Guesstimate of tub replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brokenbathtub

Reaction score
I live in the southeast in GA, so I'm guessing I'll be on the low end of the installation cost scale. I plan on removing the old tub in my prior post myself, and bringing up the new tub that is the exact same size. I plan on reusing all of the faucets since I've already replaced all of the gaskets, etc. There should be no plumbing work needed since my house is new-ish.

So, what would be a ballpark figure for a plumber to only install the new bathtub and wall surround? I've google'd looking for a price, but everything I find includes the price of the tub, tilework, tub removal, etc.

I would get bids, but everyone I call insists on coming to look at it.

Thanks for the help as always!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No two jobs come out exactly the same, so giving a bid, site unseen, is dangerous, or likely to be on the high side to cover contingencies. Unless the tub is exactly the same model, it's highly unlikely that the drain will line up. Most surrounds call for removing at least some of the drywall around the tub, and depending on what you have, may be difficult to estimate how easy it will be to repair.

Brokenbathtub

Reaction score
Well, that's completely understandable about a bid, but I'm not really seeking a bid. I'm trying to get a guesstimate from someone/anyone, the guess could be a range $***X-***X, a guess "Around $***X", or even a max "Worse-case scenario that I have to replace pipes and cut out drywall, it will be $***X". Google says $2500ish for tub removal, installation, etc. How much of that is for removing the tub? How much is the tub (since the tub I want is around $500)? Does that $2500 include tilework? How much am I paying for tub disposal?

What I am really trying to find out is how much of that $2500 average is for the actual tub installation. If the contractor goes a bit over, I'm ok with that, and I've told all 3 places that. I just hate having someone drive all the way out to my house (I don't live in town) and take off work just so I can get a dollar figure so I can budget for this.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the old tub is out and the new one is in or near the room on the same floor, my guess, and I'm not a pro, is a couple of hours to hook it up and connect the drain and maybe reposition the valve to accommodate the new surround. Setting it in mortar, installing ledgers, or other supports would add to the time and therefore money. If you want them to do the wallboard, tape the joints, etc., it adds considerably to the time, and therefore money. Need to know the exact scope, what's there, and what level of finish you want on the room. that's why they want to see the job and understand your full expectations.

There are two ways to generally contract a job: time and materials, or fixed price. Sometimes you make out one way, sometimes the other and it's the same for the guy doing the job; but the contractor often wins on a fixed price (or he goes out of business!), but not always.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
He has to figure an hour labor plus the dump fee...which here would be about $75, to dispose of the old one.
I would not expect that for 2500 you would get any tile work. And depending on exactly what you put up on the walls...( what was there before???) the depth placement of the shower valve may not be correct.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I would get bids, but everyone I call insists on coming to look at it.

The only way to give a price "sight unseen" is to inflate it to cover EVERY possible snag that could occur. Once I gave you that price, and you accepted it, it would make no difference whether the job went smoothly or not, you would pay the original amount, so the easier the job went the more profit I would make. This is the same process "flat rate plumbers" use which is why they are more expensive, and why they are told that doing it that way will make them more money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks