Happy Holidays

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

I would like the wish everyone a Safe and Happy Holiday.

Please do not drink and drive.

If Friends come over to celebrate with You, You should provide them with a place to sleep it off.

Sorry if I sound like Your Father, I May be old enough too be, But I do not intend to be a Nag.

Thru experience, I have learned that it is easier to be safe than sorry.

Keep Your Friends, Family and Yourself Safe, and Party Hardy.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

DonL

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

I would like the wish everyone a Safe and Happy Holiday.

Please do not drink and drive.

If Friends come over to celebrate with You, You should provide them with a place to sleep it off.

Sorry if I sound like Your Father, I May be old enough too be, But I do not intend to be a Nag.

Thru experience, I have learned that it is easier to be safe than sorry.

Keep Your Friends, Family and Yourself Safe, and Party Hardy.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

DonL

Thanks, Same to you Don

Cookie

Reaction score
Merry Xmas, to you both & all reading this. Hope it is a safe, happy one, and Santa brings everything you want. :)

DonL

Reaction score
I guess people are too busy, (ahem) to wish you and others a Merry Xmas, oh well, lol.
Like they say, that's life! How's that song go?

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth ??

Cookie

Reaction score
I never heard that one, LOL... but, come to think of it, and, since it fits in with your "don't drink and drive" that is how, my front teeth got replaced later in years. It was in 1980, right before I was getting married, maybe, that was 1981... I think, it was. I was driving to visit my husband across the city alittle after, 5 or 6, on a workday. A driver on a Harley, came speeding across a bridge, ran a redlight, very drunk, and we collided. It was very serious, and one of the saddest days of my life. All due to the drink... I did everything in order not to hit or hurt him but, things happen so quickly as you can imagine. I drove my car at 20/25 miles an hour into a telephone pole and the pole stopped alittle bit back from the dashboard. It took out the motor. My teeth was always a problem in my life, I wasn't blessed with nice ones, very crooked and I had a patch on the front one all my life due to a had a hole which went directly through it, I was told from when I was a baby and had a very high fever due to Measles. Well, being the cycle came through the windshield sideways at me, I got some of the hit of it. Namely, what else, my teeth. Adding insult to injury. Because of the impact it weakened those teeth and in time, they just broke off and, now, I got bonded ones in the front, which look probably much better but, still a reminder of that day.

I don't know how many people have been in accidents due to a drunk driver, and it doesn't matter if on a bike or a car, but, the lifetime effects of all involved are very difficult to live with IF you have a heart in your body, and you are breathing.

Then in July, we were driving home on the Fourth of July. I was driving my husband to be, Camaro. We were driving down a windy, fast road when a vehicle in the front of us was swervling into the mountainside, and I was afraid he was "falling asleep." I flashed the lights to wake him up, and when we got to the redlight at the bottom, 2 men got out, both... drunk... with a huge crowbar. I froze. My husband to be kept saying, to go, run the light and I couldn't move. My husband got out and the man hit him on the head with the crowbar, he ran cross the road. I then got out and was hysterical, yelling at the big man who now had the crowbar above my head , to hit me like he hit him. I was standing there just yelling at him and he got back in. I got back in and went across the 4 lanes and my beloved, slid in the window bleeding profusely. From there we went to the hospital, and they had to reattach his scalp. Which he lived with a horseshoe shaped scar and receded his hairline. We got married after that, 2 weeks later infact. And, it was a joke that people were going to wrap us up in bubble wrap til, the wedding. I am and was, surprised there was a wedding, that this man still wanted to marry me.

So, your message hits home quite a bit Don. And, it is very wise to remind people especially, at this time of the year, with the New Years upon us, to be cautious about that drink. Because, it can hurt so many others. Not just yourself.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Sorry to have brought back such bad memories for you cookie.

I never ask for or expect anything for Christmas, I have everything that I need.

I would rather give than receive...

Cookie

Reaction score
You didn't bring them back Don, the point is, they are there all the time. I liked the point you were making alot. Don't drink and drive.

I give, but, heck I love to receive,lol. Depends though from whom. :)

got to go to work, so, I can give, lol.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So Just stay out of Bars in Houston ?

I thought they were all Red Neck Bars.
No, but the ones I've been to in Dallas were. Last time I was in Houston, it was a big melting pot of Texans, people from Ohio, and Viet Nam. Only the customers I went to in the Dallas area had all Texans.

DonL

Reaction score
No, but the ones I've been to in Dallas were. Last time I was in Houston, it was a big melting pot of Texans, people from Ohio, and Viet Nam. Only the customers I went to in the Dallas area had all Texans.

I think Gillies had to have the most Red Necks of all. That WAS here.

Them Crazy fools went and burnt it down. Guess they all moved to Dallas.

Cookie

Reaction score
Aawww, I'm sorry Cookie; Merry Christmas!

It was nice to read this man doing something like he did, I like especially, the part in it, where he only would wear a 15 dollar watch, and fly coach.

........Meet Charles Feeney, Cornell's $350 Million Donor

By Ray Gustini | The Atlantic Wire – Tue, Dec 20, 2011

The New York Times has unmasked 80-year-old Cornell alum Charles F. Feeney as the anonymous donor who gave the school a $350 million donation to construct a new technology-based satellite campus on Roosevelt Island in New York City. Officials at The Atlantic Philanthropies, the foundation started by Feeney in 1982, confirmed to the paper last night that he was the one who made the gift for the project, which is expected to generate an extra $1.4 billion in tax revenue for the city, plus 20,000 construction jobs and as many as 30,000 new jobs once the facility is up and running.

Which leads to the inevitable question: who is this guy? To begin with, he's a very rich guy. He co-founded Duty Free Shoppers Group in the early 1960s, and sold his stake in the company to LVMH Moet Hennessy-Louis Vuitton for $2.47 billion in 1996. At the time, The Times noted Feeney's "net worth far exceeds the $975 million estimated by Forbes magazine." After the sale, The Times reported estimated that the proceeds, paired with other funds Feeney turned over to the foundation "left the charity with $3.5 billion, even after the $610 million that has already been distributed to charities."

To that point, he'd be donating anonymously, but it was Judith Miller of The New York Times who coaxed Feeney into discussing his donations with a member of the press for the first time in 1997, though he wouldn't pose for a picture.

In adidition to donating to universities and hospitals, Feeney told Miller that he's also made personal contributions to Sinn Fein, the IRA's political arm, worth up to $280,000, which made him the organization's biggest American donor (Feeny holds dual citizenship.) As of 1997, the foundation's largest grant was $30 million, a figure that Feeney has dwarfed in recent years. In 2009, he gave $125 million to build a new medical center for the University of California-San Francisco that would treat women, children, and cancer patients. Over the course of the last decade, he's given more than €46m to the University of Limerick in Ireland. Hs total donations for Cornell over the years -- not counting the latest $350 hit -- exceed $600 million.

Perhaps not surprisingly, he took the "Giving Pledge" created by Bill and Melinda Gates earlier this year, vowing to give away everything in the Atlantic Properties coffers by 2020. As Dealbook noted at the time, the rapid timetable illustrates Feeney's specific brand of philanthropy, which eschews trusts and foundations for what he calls "giving while living," in which the philanthropist's goal is to become flat broke before his own death.

Nearly every profile makes note of how unimpressed Feeney is with what his wealth can buy him, noting that he flies coach, wears a $15 watch, and doesn't own a house or a car. When Miller asked him why he decided to give everything away, Feeney replied, "I simply decided I had enough money."

In 2007, when The New York Times convinced him to sit for a profile again, Jim Dwyer said, not inaccurately, that Feeney was "what Donald Trump would be if he led his life backward."

~~~~~~

There are so many people who could care so much more about people in general, but, they are so afraid to, and I ask of what. At least people could wish others a Merry Xmas, yours was nice Bob, but, I found it surprising that no one else would chime in for Don's thread. :)

It is nice to hear especially, at this time of the year, wonderful things, like the movie, It is a Wonderful life. Remember that one?

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think Gillies had to have the most Red Necks of all. That WAS here.

Them Crazy fools went and burnt it down. Guess they all moved to Dallas.

I think I mentioned earlier this year in a post that i visited Gillie's when I was in Houton and took a ride to Pasadena. A Tuesday night was not the night for a tourist like me to be there. It was a scary experience, but I enjoyed it anyway, cupla drinks, bought some Tee shirts to bring home, and got my NY ass outta that place before I was found out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Happy Holidays!

I will be with my family for this one, like last year, but this time in town.

There was an article in the paper this week, someone had left a toilet on the curb, and everyday more Christmas decorations were being placed on it. A Christmas toilet.

2011_sue_024_800.jpg

Spending Christmas day with Sue's family.

2011_sue_010.jpg

Terry & Sue

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks