(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Planning an addition

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Default Planning an addition

Hi All,
    I need some advice. I've got a really bad porch in the back--sagging, rotted, old termite damage (no bugs now), no foundation--as well as some space available next to it. I'd like to rip it off and rebuild more interior space. I know I want to add a bathroom, mud room, some storage somewhere and open kitchen/dining room. I'm not sure of the layout though.
    Any ideas where I can find some plans for 'an addition to this old house'? Should I rely on Orange Box design peeps or maybe go to The Great Indoors? I don't really want to pay a designer as I'd be on a tight budget.

Thx
    Jason

Do you mean architectural plans or interior design? I don't know how things work in Columbus, but in NJ, it would be pretty tough to do what you are planning to do without submitting professionally prepared plans to the building department along with your permit application.

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

I can prepare the drawings required by the city ... I just don't know what I want to do ... I guess I need an interior designer. Doing it is no problem, what to do is.

So knowing I need an interior designer, what are my cheap options? Any free-ish services?

Thanks
    Jason

Default plans

You do not need an interior designer, you need an exterior one who will make the addition "fit" with the rest of the house. This is a case where you get what you pay for, and if it is "freeish" it will be a plain "vanilla box" that may, or may not, add to the appearance of the house.