(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galvanized Tank Question

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

I know what you mean about maintenance free. Now, if you neglect it, it will start short cycling and get gradually worse.

Take note that there was some discussion of having two thirds air to emulate a bladder tank for more drawdown. Probably your AVC would not let you do that, but should your AVC fail or be too slow to vent, you could run into problems. If you have a filter or softener that backwashes, should the pressure drop (power fail or overdrawing the well) during backwash, the air could vent through the house plumbing and blow resin or filter media up through the system and clog things up. Ask me how I know!

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
    Got it. I do know how the AVC works. It worked everytime under the "old" system bleeding off the excess air put in by the air maker system each time the pump went on.

I'm just pissed now that I went from a basically maintenace free tank situation to one where I periodically have to check and add air. All because I let the "well pro" talk me out of installing the valve to make air on the new piping installed in the well. He said if it becomes a problem for me, I can always switch to the captive air tank which he was trying to convince me to buy when he put in the new pump and piping.
    Put your air maker right next to the tank, you really only need a few feet of pipe to get enough air, then your vent likely will not ever need to vent. Most guys blow way too much air into a plain tank.

Since the chinese are dumping air compressors on us for 39$ now, you could also put one on a timer for a minute a day.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Ja, some folk use the bleeder to prime a trap in their basement. Like ballvalve said, most often there is too much pipe between bleeder and snifter.

Whitewater even makes a compressor with probes for the tank to keep the right air level. Just make sure to use an oil free type compressor.

I like my galv. tanks. They allow a bit of sediment to settle to the bottom if you have any (I blow my tanks down once a year). They last forever if the water quality is even somewhat decent.

The last two galv. tanks I replaced had '69 and '72 scrawled on the bottom. Tanks were still good.