(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Service Pole to Well House Underground Line Specs

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    Glad to hear you got it worked out!

You could run another conduit for some outdoor receptacles since the trench is open. Any future expansion in that direction could just as easily come out of the subpanel instead of the main now.

Did you ask the electrician if he wanted to buy some new safety gear?
    The only safety equipment the electrician wore was his Thinsulate rubber soled boots. When I asked how it is working in safety gear, he just laughed. He passed on using my dielectric rubber livestock feed bowl. It was ankle deep mud that day.

I will go with running additional wire through the existing 1" conduit. I am going to drop in the additional 3/4" and wire an outdoor plug outside the well house, if that's OK. There is a container beyond the well house and I could hook up to this line in the future.

Met someone at the town coin water machine whose well dried up a year ago, which put a perspective on things. Glad to have the water back! Thanks!

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

225.30 Number of Supplies.

Where more than one building or other structure is on the same property and under single management, each additional building or other structure that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side of the service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (E). For the purpose of this section, a multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.

(A) Special Conditions. Additional feeders or branch circuits shall be permitted to supply the following:

(1) Fire pumps

(2) Emergency systems

(3) Legally required standby systems

(4) Optional standby systems

(5) Parallel power production systems

(6) Systems designed for connection to multiple sources of supply for the purpose of enhanced reliability

(B) Special Occupancies. By special permission, additional feeders or branch circuits shall be permitted for either of the following:

(1) Multiple-occupancy buildings where there is no space available for supply equipment accessible to all occupants

(2) A single building or other structure sufficiently large to make two or more supplies necessary

(C) Capacity Requirements. Additional feeders or branch circuits shall be permitted where the capacity requirements are in excess of 2000 amperes at a supply voltage of 600 volts or less.

(D) Different Characteristics. Additional feeders or branch circuits shall be permitted for different voltages, frequencies, or phases or for different uses, such as control of outside lighting from multiple locations.

(E) Documented Switching Procedures. Additional feeders or branch circuits shall be permitted to supply installations under single management where documented safe switching procedures are established and maintained for disconnection.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

So JW, what do you think of him running a 2nd circuit that supplies a receptacle that is on the OUTSIDE of the well house?

As far as I am concerned, as long as it does not enter the outbuilding it is fine.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

If the receptacle is attached to the building it is serving that building and therefore a code violation.

Default Why a additional wire ?

Quote Originally Posted by CHOLLA BOB View Post
    I will go with running additional wire through the existing 1" conduit. I am going to drop in the additional 3/4" and wire an outdoor plug outside the well house, if that's OK. There is a container beyond the well house and I could hook up to this line in the future.
    If You already ran a Neutral conductor , then why would you want to run a additional wire ?

Did I miss something ?
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

So he could put it on a post 2" from the building and it would be ok?

The term "serving that building" looks like a grey area to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    So he could put it on a post 2" from the building and it would be ok?

The term "serving that building" looks like a grey area to me.

I agree, But the 2" post may be considered a new structure.

As long as you don't run the feed back into the building it seems that it would not be serving it.

In my day the only thing that we needed in the Out Building was a Sears Catalog...
    Last edited by DonL; 01-08-2012 at 12:37 PM.

What? No National Geographic?

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    What? No National Geographic?

The pages are to glossy. lol

That is why the Sears catalog got discontinued.

Now the phone book is #1.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

The only safety equipment the electrician wore was his Thinsulate rubber soled boots. When I asked how it is working in safety gear, he just laughed. He passed on using my dielectric rubber livestock feed bowl. It was ankle deep mud that day.

Met someone at the town coin water machine whose well dried up a year ago, which put a perspective on things. Glad to have the water back! Thanks!
    What? No tires to stand on either? But thats the REALITY of most electricians.

I bought the 3/4 inch line and get the picture: do not wire a second line to the well house.

If stopped about six feet from the well house or as close as possible, I could set up an outdoor plug which could be midway point to the container. This summer, I could run a 30 foot trench from this point on to the container (slight angle off and past the well house). For now, this outdoor plug could supply a horse stock tank heater. So to wire a plug with no structure and to clear snowfall of a 1.5 feet, could I mount the plug on a treated 4x4 post? What's the minimum height?

That neutral in the well house will eventually feed the well house sub-panel. As the water is back and I have to Jeep the wife out to get to her city car, we are taking a break until the weather gets better. I do want to throw in one more conduit into that trench as it took a piece of my mind! The outdoor lighting station is a solution.

So could I wire onto a post outside the building? Seems like that answer is a gray area. Would this qualify as an emergency standby electrical station for the well house?

I have a whole pile of tires. We dumped out a mountain in the next lot; but after you get rid of those eyesore fire hazards; you start missing them as they do come in handy in last minute situations; like keeping horses from falling into 2 foot trenches. Too bad the steel belting qualifies as a conductor.
    Last edited by CHOLLA BOB; 01-12-2012 at 02:40 PM.