extend copper line under the slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Derry

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to extend a 3/4" soft copper water line under a slab.
I can put a fitting under the slab OR I can slightly bend the pipe so it comes out of the slab in a 2x4 wall.
My question is:
Is it OK to bend a 30 years old soft copper pipe?

Thanks

Last edited:

Derry

Reaction score
I'll go for that and put a fitting if it breaks...
I found the copper pipe was damaged by the backfill, does anyone know what should I use to protect it? I'm planning to use 2 ft of 3/4" clean stone around the pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; put a fitting if it breaks...

IF you put a fitting it, it either has to be a flared fitting, NOT compression, or brazed, NOT conventional soldering.

Derry

Reaction score
Thank you HJ!
Do you know if I should wrap the pipe in the backfill and where the slab touch the pipe, if yes what should I use?

Derry

Reaction score
Thanks again HJ. I'll have to wait january for the town to close the water main on the street. It seems everyone has its own view about the fitting under a slab. A plumber suggested to use a corporation fitting (I couldn't see one on the web), he said it's not with brass but with rubber and very strong, the town is always using this, they wouldn't use this if it wasn't reliable since these kind of repairs are very expensive. Anyway I think the best is "no underground connection".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; they wouldn't use this if it wasn't reliable since these kind of repairs are very expensive

1. They are using it on COLD water.
2. They are NOT using it under a concrete slab.
3. They do NOT have to "pay" a plumber to redo it if it fails.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks