NE DIY'er

Users who are viewing this thread

ewn

Reaction score
My GE Water Softener (GXSF39E01) is leaking between the bypass valve and the intake for the softener. There are black plastic clips, and I can remove the side nodes, but the top node on the inflow and outflow sides refuse to come free. I have turned off the water to the house, opened a faucet to drain pressure, and opened the bypass valve. How do I get those clips out without breaking them to check the seal, relube or replace, and reinstall?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
May have to move the bypass up or down a little, most likely that clip is in a bind and will come out once that bind is no longer there.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pull the bypass toward the valve while trying to remove the clip. The leak is caused by the bypass itself. The ends are sonicly welded and tend the leak over time. I have done everything possible to stop the leak. Until you replace the bypass, the leak will continue.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My GE Water Softener (GXSF39E01) is leaking between the bypass valve and the intake for the softener. There are black plastic clips, and I can remove the side nodes, but the top node on the inflow and outflow sides refuse to come free. I have turned off the water to the house, opened a faucet to drain pressure, and opened the bypass valve. How do I get those clips out without breaking them to check the seal, relube or replace, and reinstall?

To remove those clips, you have to release pressure in the softener itself. Easiest way to do it is put the bypass valve into bypass mode, then start a manual regeneration cycle. After a few seconds of the regeneration, the pressure inside the softener valve body will be low and you will find the clips will come off effortlessly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks