Toilet fills when you pull lever and water goes down after the tank fills.

Users who are viewing this thread

sxch14

Reaction score
I have a KOHLER Wellworth 2-Piece Round Front Toilet in White (bought at Home Depot for $150)

It's in the basement connected to a septic. I do not know if there is a vent or not since I'm not the original installer. I just replaced the older toilet. It's been working for about 1 1/2 years but now I'm having a problem.

When I flush the toilet the water level in the bowl goes up. After the tank fills then the water in the bowl slowly goes down and below where the water should be. This happened about a month ago and the next day it cleared and worked fine until this evening. So my question is the toilet bad or is there a venting problem or is the septic full?

Thank you.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The septic tank is full, or the drain line is plugged, or the toilet is plugged, all three give the same symptoms. There may, or may not, be a venting problem, but that is also only incidental.

PM5K

Reaction score
Just had the same type of problem on a septic system. Depending on what's easiest, either try plunging it or check the septic. I'd check the septic first if it's not too difficult.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many Kohler toilets have a tendency to clog due to tight bends in the trap. This is not to imply that the other possibilities could be the problem, but I'd start with the plugged toilet possibility.

PM5K

Reaction score
I definitely thought that was my problem, the line was full and I tried too aggressively to plunge it and I wound up blowing out the wax ring, which is why I recommended he check the septic level first, just from my experience a few days ago. I guess whatever you do don't get too excited with the plunger like I did, lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks