Brand new hot water tank installed and all the water was leaked out !

Users who are viewing this thread

Koala

Reaction score
A brand new hot water tank was installed at my house today by professionals. I then left the house and 5 hours later came back and the whole water had leaked out in the utility room and of course all over the garage and out from under the garage doors to the drive way.

Apparently all water was lost. I saw the pressure relieve pipe on the side of the unit was still flowing out water ( weakly ) but I am sure it must have been with enough pressure while I was not home to cover the whole utility room and the garage.

All faucets ( hot water ) had water in them when yu would open in a bathroom.. but of course no hot water and just cold. I have closed the gas and the water flow ( in and out ) leavers. But am rather anxious as to why when I saw everything was done without a problem , such thing has happened .

Thank God the utility room is in the garage and lower than other parts of the house . Can any one have any explanations to help me sleep better till I have it looked at ?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Two reasons that can cause this. The water was over heated because of a faulty aqua-stat or you have a bad thermal expansion tank.

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The water did not "leak out", as evidenced by the fact that you have water pressure still. Something happened to open the relief valve long enough to send that water all over the garage. This could have been the water getting too hot....that doesn't happen very often, because water heaters have other safety devices. The second possibility is the pressure got too high. You may need an expansion tank, but from the amount of overflow, your static pressure may also be too high to begin with.

You need to get your plumber to investigate these two things.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; all water was lost. I saw the pressure relieve pipe on the side of the unit was still flowing out water ( weakly )

ALL THE WATER was not "lost" otherwise you would only have had 50 gallons of water on the floor and water would NOT have been flowing from the T&P valve even "weakly". You had a major discharge of water from the T&P valve, probably because of excessive pressure, but maybe from excessive temperature, but there is no way we can determine which, or why it happened.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks