(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Changing the Oil Filter- should be easy, but it's not...

Default Changing the Oil Filter- should be easy, but it's not...

The filter holder is a Westwood f 100 8 spin-on can, gravity fed type. There is a Gar-Ber brand filter element (screw on can) on it. To change it out I got the Westwood f 100 10 fuel filter element. That is the only one our Home Depot stocked and the floor man told me it was "the one" for residential systems. Anyway, I can't get the Gar-Ber element off the Westbrook holder. Turned it hard in both directions and it won't budge.

This post reminds me of when my Mom asks me to open a jar.
    Last edited by McG; 12-15-2011 at 11:01 PM.

I see in the Westwood catalog they sell an item they call the F 100-18, "Spin-on filter wrench. Fits all popular filters." It looks like your basic strap wrench. They illustrate it strapped around the very base of the can. I wonder if our service tech has one.

This is the most relevant article on the subject I could find: It addresses my issue with the difficulty in changing the spin-on filter. The article is referring to automobile oil filters: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/300.cfm

Update: Bought a 93mm, 15 flute "Cap Filter Wrench" (oil filter wrench) at the auto parts store. Cost under seven dollars. It fits the Gar-Ber filter better than the Westwood filter bit it fits both. The wrench is cranked by a standard 3/8" ratchet which is not included with the cap wrench. It removed the filter element easily.

One problem solved.
    Last edited by McG; 12-16-2011 at 01:01 PM.