Which coupling for 3" PVC to 4" Cast Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Takelargebites

Reaction score
I need to connect my new 3" PVC drain line to the old 4" cast iron drain. The pipes are on the horizontal in the basement. Which Fernco coupling would be preferred? The 1056-43 Flexible coupling or the ProFlex 3000-43 ? It looks like either coupling would accomplish the same thing but it seams like the ProFlex would be more resistant to shear since it's banded.

taper.jpeg
proflex.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Above ground is when you need a shielded coupling; required by code.

Plumbers always use shielded couplings.
There are times in the ground, when you can use a non-shield coupling, since the ground is supporting.

When you join pipes, it's important to measure the OD of the pipe.
A new 4" cast iron pipe would be 4-3/8" OD
An old 4" cast iron pipe can be as small as 4-1/8", which is considered a copper pipe size.
If I have copper pipe size cast, then I use a mission copper coupling x no-hub. Which does work with PVC if it's standard waste sizing.

plumbquick_nohub.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I generally only use banded ones myself, but thought they were only required underground.

That is the ONLY place they are NOT required, but usually outside the building.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
In Illinois shielded couplings are required underground. And above ground we are allowed to use no-hub couplings but must use a no-hub transition adapter on the PVC and or ABS pipe.

Attachments

• no_hub_adpt.jpg
    no_hub_adpt.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,698

Takelargebites

Reaction score
My cast iron measures 4-1/4" OD. Does it sound like a Mission CP 43 (4" CI to 3" PL, ST, or XH CI ) would be the way to go? I'll see what the supply house has tomorrow morning and then track down an inspector to get his ok too.

LesP

Reaction score
Above ground is when you need a shielded coupling; required by code.

Plumbers always use shielded couplings.
There are times in the ground, when you can use a non-shield coupling, since the ground is supporting.

When you join pipes, it's important to measure the OD of the pipe.
A new 4" cast iron pipe would be 4-3/8" OD
An old 4" cast iron pipe can be as small as 4-1/8", which is considered a copper pipe size.
If I have copper pipe size cast, then I use a mission copper coupling x no-hub. Which does work with PVC if it's standard waste sizing.

plumbquick_nohub.jpg

This is great information, Terry -- thank you. My "vintage" cast iron drain has an O.D. of 4.25" and I'm connecting it to 3" ABS.

Would a Fernco 3000-43 be able to ratchet down tight enough? The 4" side of the coupling has an I.D. of 4.42".
Alternatively, I could get a 3006-43 made for copper, but would the 4.13" I.D. stretch enough to get it on the pipe without a massive fight.

Feeling like Goldilocks here...!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The main thing is to have the rubber bushing under the sleeve close enough in sizing to allow the bands that tighten it to remain straight.
They do make many different sized in couplings now to make the correct transition between the different pipe sizing. It does need the metal wrap to prevent shifting, which can get pretty ugly over time.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
NOte, if you can have access to a hub, you can use a rubber donut to make the transition. While PVC is standard, the ID of a hub is not, so they make lots of different donuts to fit. You may need some dishwasher detergent as a lubricant to slide the pvc and donut in place. It's sort of like Goldy Locks...it needs to be just right, so that's why they make multiple sizes of donuts to fit various hubs. Too tight, and you won't be able to insert it...too loose, and it will leak. Done right, it works fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks