Water softener WHES40 & Central Water Filtration System - Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

R

reggiev6

Hey guys,
I just got my water softener and water filtration system installed (about 1month now). everything has been going well and there is a big difference on how the water feels on the skin, very silky/smooth.
Questions:

I poured about 3 bags of blue bag salt that's sold at Lowes, but didnt pour any water in there. The company that installed it (recommended by Home Depot) didnt say I had to pour water but now I look online and people say I should. Is this something I should do? Can I do it now even though I have the salt at level 5? What's the point of pouring water in the salt?
Sorry for the dumb question but I'm really new to it.

The other thing i've noticed is that my toilets (I have 1 downstairs and 2 upstairs), are getting not a brown ring but more like a little brown stain where the water sits all day. This is happening to only 2 of the toilets, the 3rd one is fully clear. I was curious on what's causing this? Is the products I bought, not working or are they faulty? I'm kinda worried :(

http://www.ecodynewatertreatment.com/ws/whes40.asp - water softner
http://www.ecodynewatertreatment.com/cwfs/ - central water filtration system

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The softener adds water after every regen and I'm guessing it has done a regen by now so there should be water in it. The brown stain is probably iron.

R

reggiev6

thanks for the quick reply!

is that iron normal? doesnt the water softener and filtration take that out? is that normal for a home with this setup or do i need to get something checked?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are different methods to remove iron depending on the type and quantity of iron. A water test would be a good start. One method is to oxidize it to trap it as rust.

The iron is probably oxidizing in the bowl as it is exposed to the air.

Last edited:
R

reggiev6

so even with the water softener and water filtration system, this is a normal thing that happens to homes? the company that installed it said they tested the water and set the hardness level of the softener to 12. If this iron thing in the toilet is normal for the home then I wont worry about it too much. i just always thought that water softeners removed these things

also to add, if the water has iron, should i be worried about the water in the faucet that we drink?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A softener or iron filter only takes out the hardness and iron in the water where it goes into the softener or filter.

If there is rust in the plumbing past the unit, the softened water can remove it depositing it in a toilet etc. OR, if there is any galvanized pipe or nipples, the softened water will rust them and add iron to the water that then is oxidized by air and the rust settles on surfaces.

I think you are saying you have a ring at the water. If it were iron it wouldn't be just a ring, it would coat the surface under the water.

Your softener may be pre brined (dry brine), meaning the water to dissolve X lbs of salt is added at the beginning of a regeneration, not at the end. If so there is only an inch or 2 of water in the salt tank between regenerations.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A softener or iron filter only takes out some of the hardness and iron in the water where it goes into the softener or filter.
There, I fixed it for you.

I wish that came with an iron clad guarantee that if I got a hint of iron anywhere, I'd get my money back. I have an iron filter that judging by what the backwash looks like, removes a lot of iron. After that, I assume my softener removes some that the iron filter missed. Then after that, I use only RO filtered water to make coffee, yet there is still iron staining in my coffee maker.

There is no iron fixtures in my plumbing with the exception of the water heater (supposedly lined) but none the less, I don't use water from the heater to make coffee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks