Those new CFL bulbs are dangerous. I bought 2 last year, and both of them failed. They got really dim one day, glowing darkish orange, and started to smell hot. The base was extremely overheated! I turned it off, took it out with a pot holder. Same thing happened about a month later with the other one.
Thank goodness I was in the same room and was there to turn them off. Have had 2 friends who were not in the same room when their bulbs failed and started to burn. They were alerted by a lampshade on fire, and the other guy heard it sparking.
I Googled this, and yes it does happen, so I went to the hardware store and stocked up on 100 and 75w old fashioned safe bulbs.