Wax-Free Bowl Gaskets

Users who are viewing this thread

GreekGuy7

Reaction score
I have a toilet in a rental that the floor is not in the best of shape so the toilet rocks... and there goes the wax ring. The other day, I put a "number 10" wax ring on it, shimmed the toilet and caulked it so we'll see how it goes.

Until I get a chance to replace the floor, anyone have anyone have experience with either the Fernco or Fluidmaster Wax-Free Bowl Gaskets and if they would help specifically for this issue? Thanks!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet is properly shimmed, a wax ring is normally all you need. Even if you used a waxless seal, you still need to keep the toilet from rocking and they cost more. They have their place, and I've used them. They're especially handy if you want to repaint, as then you don't need to deal with wax cleanup and buying a new one to reset the toilet.

GreekGuy7

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and I agree with you 100%. But if the floor is in fact tired, would this wax free gasket perhaps be a "little more forgiving"?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the floor is rotten, it's time to fix it! But, in the interim, a waxless has a better chance of maintaining a seal.

TeXan

Reaction score
i recommend the Fernco Waxless. by far the best waxless solution out there. However the horn of the toilet needs to be perfectly clean to allow adhesive to adhese.. Best when used with new toilet but I have installed them after cleaning the toilet thoroughly with gas a couple of times. The adhesive is very strong! There are 3 different sizes so make sure you get the right size.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The waxless rings work very well, and from reports I seen on this forum, the new saniseal gaskets work well too. However, you have to have a solid floor. Now, if you are looking for a stop-gap that will work for a very short time, a well shimmed toilet on a waxless might get you by, but only for a short time and no guarantees on that. After you repair the floor and the flange is properly located on top of it, then it's your choice on wax, waxless, or saniseal. Installing a toilet on a rotten floor is similar to building a house on swampy ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks