(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Heads Up if you are buying a new computer

  1. #1
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,635

    Default Heads Up if you are buying a new computer

    If you are thinking about buying a Mini computer for a gift or yourself then You may be in for a surprise.

    I would check the Operating System that comes on it.

    Windows® systems with Windows® 7 starter® are the ones that I see to be infected.

    The OS will not even allow a Administrator to change the Wallpaper without hacking the System, But that can be done.

    Many user are Surprised when the new computer needs a Software Upgrade, Right off the bat.
    At the cost of a $50-80 dollar upgrade.

    Do Yourself or someone else a favor, Buy the System with a full operating system.

    A normal user would have no Idea how to crack it using Regedit just to set the background picture.


    That is the first problem that most users see, but there are others.
    There are many other limitations that give users other problems.

    If you buy the correct OS in the first place, You reduce your chance of System Failure, because of a messed up RegEdit for trying too get something for nothing.


    Don't be a sucker for Win7_Starter®, or any Starter OS unless you have to.

    They only get you online long enough to Buy the Upgrade.


    DonL®
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  2. #2
    DIY Junior Member Stephen C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Check out Linux Ubuntu OS .It is safe and free . Do yourself a favor and say good by to windows. I use v10 in one old netbook with 8 gig hard drive and trying v11 in my new netbook .

  3. #3
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen C View Post
    Check out Linux Ubuntu OS .It is safe and free . Do yourself a favor and say good by to windows. I use v10 in one old netbook with 8 gig hard drive and trying v11 in my new netbook .
    Not sure that saying goodby to Windows® would work for most folks.

    Dual Boot Maybe.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  4. #4
    DIY Senior Member Chad Schloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    327

    Default

    A year ago i bought a HP netbook with windows 7. noticed exactly what you were talking about. a quick google search told me how to change it. I love the little thing easy to change/upgrade ram. I added another gig in less than 2 mins. I use it daily. no issues. leave it on standby all day.

  5. #5
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Schloss View Post
    A year ago i bought a HP netbook with windows 7. noticed exactly what you were talking about. a quick google search told me how to change it. I love the little thing easy to change/upgrade ram. I added another gig in less than 2 mins. I use it daily. no issues. leave it on standby all day.

    You made a good choice going with HP.

    I have compared many Laptop, Desktop, Netbook, and the HP is always a winner.

    I do not like all of the BS adds and unneeded "Sample Programs"
    But if you delete and disable all of the BS, The HP is best by far.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  6. #6
    DIY Senior Member Chad Schloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    327

    Default

    I've had good luck with HP. I bought a deskop back in 2006. still using that right now. upgraded memory, added hd, 2 dvd-r's, etc but still working. before this, i had a compaq (hp) desktop and a compaq laptop. The laptop died just after a year, but i hear laptops are pretty bad for that, even with really nice ones. i have a dead toshiba here given to me and a dell that is 2 years old that is dead too. I really like the hp netbook though. pretty small, somewhat light. i've held lighter netbooks, but they are a bear to upgrade.

  7. #7
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Schloss View Post
    I've had good luck with HP. I bought a deskop back in 2006. still using that right now. upgraded memory, added hd, 2 dvd-r's, etc but still working. before this, i had a compaq (hp) desktop and a compaq laptop. The laptop died just after a year, but i hear laptops are pretty bad for that, even with really nice ones. i have a dead toshiba here given to me and a dell that is 2 years old that is dead too. I really like the hp netbook though. pretty small, somewhat light. i've held lighter netbooks, but they are a bear to upgrade.

    I did a lot of testing before the Gov would buy Hundreds of Laptops.

    Lighter is not better. The battery has to have some weight or it is no good.

    That is one reason that I am not a big fan of the Ipads. Or CrapTops.

    The new Iphone had a problem because of the battery life, right out of the box.


    Bigger is better when it comes to battery size.
    Last edited by DonL; 01-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Similar Threads

  1. Heads Up if you are buying a computer for Christmas
    By DonL in forum Bob & Don's Electronics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
  2. Has your computer crashed today? This may be why
    By Terry in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 06:18 PM
  3. Water damage to computer
    By Cookie in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 06:53 PM
  4. Slow Computer Today
    By Verdeboy in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 05:45 PM
  5. Tell me how to protect my computer
    By willmiller in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •