shower stall drain - replace one part ?

Users who are viewing this thread

mavis

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a shower stall in my master bath. The drain grate was loose, so I unscrewed it to investigate.
The drain grate is round (4 and a quarter inches measured left to right) and uses two screws to attach to a black rubber gasket.
The rubber gasket has a hole on one side where one of the screws fits into. The other side of the gasket no longer has a receptor for the 2nd screw; it has disintegrated over the years. The gasket is also cracked from age in a few places. My house is 10 years old and so is this plumbing.

Just beneath the gasket I can see threads the next piece of drain, which seems obvious that the gasket screws onto that next piece.
It would appear to me that if I can remove the black gasket, I can find a replacement part and make an easy repair for both the gasket and the loose grate.

I'm confident the gasket can be removed because of the threads on the other piece of drain just below the gasket. I've tried to remove the gasket. Its in there pretty securely and I'm afraid to damage the (plastic or fiberglass) shower enclosure. I don't want to remove the gasket through severe means if it isn't meant to be removed!

Questions:
Is the gasket meant to be removed?
If so, how can I remove it?
I've searched a few sites on the internet, and this gasket method for a shower stall drain doesn't seem too popular. Would it be difficult to find a replacement gasket? (is there a better plumbing term for this part?)

thanks much-
mavis

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picture would help, but my limited experience with this is that the rubber seal is a ribbed (not threaded), press fit between the drain pipe and the drain flange...you'd never get it out and a new one replaced. I've been known to be wrong on occasion...as said, a picture might help.

mavis

Reaction score
Thanks Jim! Lets see if I can upload a couple of pics....

shower drain side view.jpgshower drain top view.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That should be plastic, not rubber, and the two screws should only hold the strainer in place. Without being able to actually see the thing, I think you have a bigger project on your hands than you think.

mavis

Reaction score
Hi hj,
I think its a little bigger project than originally thought! You're right; it isn't rubber, its plastic. The screws only purpose is to hold the strainer in place.
I was checking into Sioux Chief product called "Snap-In 18-Gauge Strainer", model 825-27PP. It seems it would be the replacement part that might do the trick.
My house is one-level and I can see some of the plumbing into the shower stall from my basement. With this part, it seems there wouldn't be a need to do major work. One of the plumbers testimonials on the Sioux Chief website said this part was "easy" since there isn't a need to access the plumbing beneath the shower stall.
Your opinion: can a rookie such as myself do this?
What is the best way to remove the existing plastic strainer?
The hardest thing about getting a plumber is finding the time for them in their schedule, then waiting for hours after the time they said they would arrive.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
haha, this isn't just plumbers, contractors in general are notorious for this. some seem to do much better than others, but it is frustrating. i always feel bad for homeowners trying to deal with contractors, when they have no idea if the guy (or gal) is trying to swindle them or not. i often meet with contractors for my friends, just to see if they're being fair and honest, as I know enough about just about every field of construction to be able to determine at least that much.

if you have access to the drain from underneath, you probably should just replace the whole drain. It won't be that much work/expense with underneath access. If it is buried, then maybe you can look into something like that... I have never used one though, so can't advise on them specifically.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks