Cement Lined Water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

TMP>9a59

Reaction score
Just starting the research phase of a new water heater for the house. I see there is a company named Hubbell that makes a cement lined water heater instead of glass lined. Their Model E is a light commercial duty, so for a home it would be more than adequate (if sized correctly). I know it would be heavier, but the location is on a concrete slab with good access.

Other than costing more, is there any real differences (advantages) to a so called "stone lined" water heater? Does it interact with softened water in a detrimental way?

I have found a few conversations where these types of heaters have a life span of 20 plus years.

Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What would be the heat source? Sure, the tank could last longer but it could fill up with lime scale and affect the heat transfer. I know that I would not want a gas water heater to last 20 plus years as the efficiency would be way off with no easy way to clean it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have only seen cement lined electric heaters, as they are spun coated, not possible with a central tube.

I was cutting a 30 year old one up for a trough, when I learned of their existence - couldnt quite figure why it was so heavy. No torch can cut a cement lined tank. Scrapped it, and made a bunch because they dont look inside.

I would go with it, but you need good access to move it.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Years ago tanks that were used to store hot water that was produced from various sources were stone lined. Many were 80 and 120 gal. I can still see them sitting horizontally on pipe stands 2'-3' off the floor. I'm sure hj also remembers them. They also were covered with asbestos.

John

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
This one had a georgeous copper finned heat exchanger in a set of ports which I did manage to cut out. No Asbestos. Likely a solar tank.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I had another one that I welded a patch on over a leak in my poor youth, and the damn thing lasted another 15 years. "curbside pickup" built my first house.

What I fancy is building a house with those huge bales of compressed cardboard boxes. Probably win every enviro award in the nation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks