(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Pilot light is lit and stays lit but will not flame up to heat water

Default Pilot light is lit and stays lit but will not flame up to heat water

I just installed a new Bradford 40 gallon water heater model M-I-403S6FBN and the pilot light ignited just fine but when I turn up the dial to "Hot" or "A" "B" or "C" tetmperature settings- it will not increase the flame to heat water. The pilot light is actually a bigger flame then the flame I get when I turn it up. In other words the flame size decreases when I turn the dial from Pilot to a heat setting. I used the same water connections as my old one and the lines are the same - tank filled just fine, the gas line is the same also. The only thing I replaced is the gas connection line as the old one was crimped. What could be causing this? The pilot stays lit but the burner will not fire up?

did you remember to turn gas valve from pilot to on otherwise no gas feed to burners

Quote Originally Posted by tray View Post
    did you remember to turn gas valve from pilot to on otherwise no gas feed to burners
    Yes - but when I turn it to a temp or on setting the pilot flame actually gets smaller.

Sounds like you need a manometer to messure gas pressure. If you look closely on the gas valve there two ports with an allen wrench stud keeping them closed. one for inlet pressure and the other outlet pressure.inlet pressure could be between7-13in/wc and outlet on most water heater gas valves is 4in/wc. you probably will need to call service tech with the proper equip

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

In the path of the flame of the pilot light, there's usually a probe. If that probe isn't getting hot, it will not light the main burner. It may be bent and all you need to do is bend it so that it is in the pilot's flame envelope.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014