(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: water filtration

Lightbulb water filtration

Hi how are you all ? I own a cottage that is in north stonington Ct. on long pond lake reservation and i would like to know the best way to filter the water to bath with and to possibly run a washing machine setup .My parents own a large cottage on the same lake and have been bathing with the water for a few years and have never had skin problems etc. I will be running a pump that feeds from the lake currently, can't afford the well just yet.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

On the cheap, a sand filter, slow or fast with a UV light after would possibly give you water to drink if you monitor the bacteria levels.

You have to check with your local code officer before you do anything. Pumping from a lake may or may not be acceptable. The plumbing code says that water supplied to fixtures has to be potable which basically means fit for human consumption. (no bugs and bacteria's) Years back we all pumped out of the lake and only used the water for bathing and cleaning but, what happens when young children come to visit or maybe someone that is not familiar with the situation? That's why the town that my lake front camp is in does not allow using lake water for anything other than irrigation. BTW at least once a year my lake goes septic from too much goose and duck poo in the water so even bathing with it can be hazardous.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]