DWV for new basement bath and laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

Theory

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just moved into our first house last week and we are re-doing the basement and adding a half bath. I've attached a sketch showing the old and the new.

Due to the laundry/bath config there will be a long run around a wall to the main drain,~15'-20'. I was hoping if I used the right fittings and venting setup this would work: 2" drain shared by the laundry stand pipe and the lav sink.

Do you see any major concerns?

I appreciate the help. I've been trying to wrap my head around venting/draining for the last week trying to figure out the setup. It was very hard to find a spot to accomodate the dryer vent, and plumbing venting which is why I'm not left with many options.

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Attachments

• Existing.jpg
    Existing.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 4,671
Last edited by a moderator:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Are you eliminating the laundry sink? I do not see it in the new diagram

Theory

Reaction score
That's correct. Eliminating the sink with the 1.5" drain, installing a 2" stand pipe for stackable laundry.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
In the new drawing, is that a washing machine standpipe you have to the right of the sink on the first floor..

Last edited:

Theory

Reaction score
That's correct. I was hoping if I used the appropriate fittings and vents I could use a 2" standpipe drain tied in with the lav sink. If this is a problem I will plumb a 2" drain all the way to the 3" stack for the washer and a 1.5" drain for the lav sink...

Hammerlane

Reaction score
There was a thread similar to yours a few weeks ago where someone wanted to drain both sink and washer standpipe on same branch drain. The washer flowing past the sink drain is NOT the ideal configuration. I saved the persons finished configuration where he remedied and tied the standpipe and sink into the stack at different heights.

Attachments

• dave88Lx.jpg
    dave88Lx.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,631

Theory

Reaction score
So with the distance, I can basically copy the above except adding an additional vent for the sink. (I'll use a 2" drain for washer, a separate 1.5" drain for the lav sink, each with their own vents that tie into each other with the toilet as shown in the drawing)

Also, just to confirm, a 2" vent is REQUIRED for a toilet?

Attachments

• Existing.jpg
    Existing.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,403
Last edited:

Theory

Reaction score
A 2" would be required within 72" with UPC plumbing code.
I don't know what the Ontario code is.

Hi Terry, a 2" vent for the toilet is required when the vent is longer than 72" the 3" according to UPC? Just want to clarify!

I should search some more and find out about max. vent lengths for my plan...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The confusing part is that the left hand drawing shows the horizontal drain ABOVE the floor, but the right hand one has it BELOW the floor. Usually, when a main drain is above the floor it is because the main SEWER is NOT low enough for it to be under the floor. Or do you have enough headroom to raise the entire basement floor that much? IF so, or if you are breaking the floor to install the drainage, you drawing is MUCH too complex, (i.e., there are much easier ways to do it).

Last edited:

Theory

Reaction score
The right hand drawing is an accurate representation of how the main sewer drain is, 3" horizontal, 90 up through the floor with a cleanout, coninuing up the the main floor bath. I should have fixed the left hand drawing to show this better instead of just pointing the arrow.

I was planning on breaking the concrete to install the basement toilet drain/vent, however the horizontal drain for the lav sink and the separate drain for the washer stand pipe will be routed through the new walls draining into the main 3".

I will attempt a cleaner drawing, this drawing was mostly an attempt to see if I had the draining and venting done properly, but I can see it would be easier to get advice if I clarify the drawing showing horizontal/vertical better and lengths.

It was a first try!

Theory

Reaction score
Trying to use some 3D software this is pretty close to what my existing plumbing situation is. I did not included the existing laundry because I already know it's very wrong and it's a little complicated to draw.

I'm currently attempting to add the new plumbing setup I've sketched above.

Attachments

• Existing Plumbing.jpg
    Existing Plumbing.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 994

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Your new drawing shows no fixture vents. The lav appears that it may be be too far from the stack to run it without a re-vent.

Here, you can wet vent a WC, but not the laundry. (if that is what i'm looking at.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think a laundry or washer can be wet vented anywhere.
In some codes, they require a 3" on the vertical waste for a washer after the vent.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep the IPC now requires the laundry to dump into a 3" or larger stack and you can not wet vent laundry trays or washing machine stand pipes.

Theory

Reaction score
The 3D drawing above is just what the house has currently (minus the existing laundry, as it's wrong): WC, Lav (31" to the right from lav trap to main stack), and Bath (left fixture in the 3D drawing). I'm still trying to draw the new basement setup, just struggling a little with the software as I've never used it before.

Looking at the fittings and things they used with the recently re-done bathroom they installed before we bought the house, I'm not sure they used all the right stuff. Might be best if I post a photo too.

Thank you for the guidance! I just want to make sure I have a solid plan that passes the first time!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I don't think a laundry or washer can be wet vented anywhere.

I have done it many times, but the sink or laundry tray connection has to be above the washing machine connection.

lane234

Reaction score
clicked Bert... he's from Oregon.... printed the22 pages... over kill in some ways... good to have it all in one place, thanks for the link

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks