(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Service Upgrade completed!

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    I hate to say it Lee, but that is going backwards from a code standpoint. There can be no splices in the grounding conductor.

The bonding bushing I referred to earlier looks like this-

Attachment 14814

If it's not done in the meter box or in the panel, the meter will need to be pulled so the service conductors can be taken loose and the proper locknut and bushing installed.
    No problem, and I was only meaning to address the matter of the panel not having a grounding conductor. In any case, the electrician who was too busy to come do this job had warned me to watch this guy closely, and it should not take him (the first electrician) very long or cost me very much to correct everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Not to mention the parallel path he just installed
    Not to argue, but to learn: What is paralleled there? The grounding conductor from the panel would/should have gone into the meter socket and connected with that same wire anyway.

==========

Here is what I have done to address my concern about the riser, and the squirrels will have to get mighty big before this gets pulled from the wall! Also, here is a picture of my nearly-punctured "safety hat" that took the punishment when the meter cover fell on my head just before the power company had arrived ...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Okay I see those two red feeders now. It is a violation to have fused and non-fused conductors in the same raceway. I would address this in some manner or the other.
    Now that I know where to drill, I can take them in through the wall and that hole in the panel where I presently have its grounding conductor running out.

I am sure that your state and my state have pretty close to the same laws concerning as the licensing of the two states will reciprocate electrical licenses. Here only a temporary CO can be issued unless the job is complete.
    The inspector's sticker on the meter socket says "Code Compliant Electrical Inspection", but I do understand that does not automatically mean everything is said-and-done in relation to insurance coverage and/or liability.

===============

Overall, I truly appreciate everyone's help here!
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Name:  9-1-2011 ALDRICH FOSSILS, WALKER, MURITTA 108.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  56.3 KB

Try and find this solitude in NC.

I went to Hollywood once and stayed for one day. That was more than enough to let me know that I have no desire to ever return. Yes you are almost correct; Cal. has nothing more than a bunch of crack-heads.
    And I thought I had the prize for wild opinions! Got me beat. Drove through North Carolina on a motorcycle one winter, and
    Though I could'nt tell what drugs or moonshine they prefer, most of the folk walked on their knuckles, and had trailers and "houses" with sofas and upside down cars in the yards that would not survive a good backfire from a truck.

My point was that fire inspectors look for evidence of ARSON, especially in this economy. I had a place burn, and the electrical panel internals would need a $2000 forensic scientist to decipher, since the internals were mostly aluminum and just a blob on the ground.

I had a few years in the Los Angeles area, and if it broke off and fell into the ocean, I wouldnt be a bit sad. Even had to pull a pistol twice when building an elaborate home, and entering the motel to keep from being robbed and knifed. Now, you might guess California has a few magical places, since its perhaps 5x the size of NC. Thats where I live, and the only crack in the tri-county area is when a plumber bends over. Next time, go to Yosemite, Death valley, Mono lake, and the redwoods. Now you might consider what the states make up really is. And most of us actually follow the sacred NEC.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 12-10-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    . Drove through North Carolina on a motorcycle one winter, and though I could'nt tell what drugs or moonshine they prefer, most of the folk walked on their knuckles, and had trailers and "houses" with sofas and upside down cars in the yards that would not survive a good backfire from a truck.
    North Carolina carried the reputation of being the moonshine capitol of the world at one point in time. People my age knew how to cook off a bunch of sour mash by the age of 6 and could carry a 60 pound pack of sugar down to the steel and return with a case (6 gallons) of shine.

Every one of us had a couch on the front porch where we sat to watch for revenuers. There was also an upright freezer that we kept all our road kills in for eating purposes along with what we had shot thinking the revenuers was coming toward the steel.

We also found out that it was easier to change the tires on a car if we turned it over first but some just can’t comprehend this aspect of wisdom.

I haven’t figured out why we have to have either a red bone, walker, black and tan or some other mutt lying around all the time unless it was to eat the left overs and keep the critters ran out of the chicken house because one thing is sure and certain, we ain’t going to waste energy walking with them dogs in the woods at night.

Should you decide to return to NC let me know and I will have a mess of collard greens and a side of meddling meat cooked with a pone of corn bread. This will slide down good with a knee high glass of goat’s milk.

P.S. The goats keep the yard mowed.

Glad to bring out the humor in you. Should you come to Yosemite I'll have some home made red wine, a fresh organic chicken raised on the range and fed only certified organic grains, and baby greens from Santa Cruz, hand picked by unshaven 60 year old hippie farm gals in gypsy garb - while smoking medicinal, prescribed marijuana.

My road kills get boiled fur on, and fed whole to the chickens. Prefer that to any corn, anyday. Hereabout they turn cars over to work on the transmission, but usually never get around to getting it fixed. Every time my renters move out, I get 2 or 3 free cars. Covers the last 2 months rent they forgot to pay.

Since the enviro's closed the huge sawmill here, in a county with more pine trees than all of India, renters that work at burger king, with three kids are not a good bet. And your NC sent nearly 80% of its furniture factories to Vietnam, and now a chair can be bought for less than I can buy the wood. Although they only last 3 years where ours went to the kids. Road kill will be a important protein supplement in NC after the food stamps run out.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    Not to argue, but to learn: What is paralleled there? The grounding conductor from the panel would/should have gone into the meter socket and connected with that same wire anyway.
    The neutral is bonded to the meter pan so no other bonding is required. The bare copper you installed is connected to the GEC and to the panel where the neutral is also bonded which means that both conductors will carry the returning current. The metal nipple will do the same thing. I never use metal between the meter and the service disconnect.

The inspector's sticker on the meter socket says "Code Compliant Electrical Inspection", but I do understand that does not automatically mean everything is said-and-done in relation to insurance coverage and/or liability.!
    My question is does that sticker mean that the service change passed inspection or does it mean that the entire electrical job passed inspection.
    Did the inspector go into your house and work shop and inspect all the work being done or did he just look at the service?

The inspection we got was little more than a drive-by, .

Now thats some funny stuff about NorCalina.....BUT...

A racing friend of mine and known to everyone in my area died a couple years ago and the rumor was it was from drinking Moonshine......He moved to N.C. and had some bad habits (too much partying).....he and another friend of his both died from drinking what some people said was bad shine. Liver poisoning....He was 1 day short of his 50th birthday.....Me and another friend at work found it amazing that this could still happen in this day and age.....

Bonding-schmoding......I drink my beer out of a sealed bottle and it doesn't get passed thru no car radiator to brew it....

Now the inspection is being questioned......The guy put a sticker on it......he was the inspector.....

What should this man do get an inspection of the inspection by another inspector.......yea thats it.....LOL
    Last edited by Rich B; 12-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.

The neutral is bonded to the meter pan so no other bonding is required. The bare copper you installed is connected to the GEC and to the panel where the neutral is also bonded which means that both conductors will carry the returning current. The metal nipple will do the same thing. I never use metal between the meter and the service disconnect.
    As things are right now (while missing the nut and bushing cacher_chick has mentioned), there are no nuts on the backsides of the meter socket or panel and the nuts behind the plastic bushings are barely fingertight. So, the metal nipple does not serve as a reliable ground.

My question is does that sticker mean that the service change passed inspection or does it mean that the entire electrical job passed inspection.
    Did the inspector go into your house and work shop and inspect all the work being done or did he just look at the service?
    The inspector was only outside the house, and that might have been all the electrician had noted on the permit documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    ......The guy put a sticker on it......he was the inspector.....

What should this man do get an inspection of the inspection by another inspector.......yea thats it.....LOL
    That is actually a bit of what is going on right here, and I am grateful for it! My wife will eventually inherit this house, and I want everything right for her after I am gone.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 12-12-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Now thats some funny stuff about NorCalina.....BUT...

A racing friend of mine and known to everyone in my area died a couple years ago and the rumor was it was from drinking Moonshine......He moved to N.C. and had some bad habits (too much partying).....he and another friend of his both died from drinking what some people said was bad shine. Liver poisoning....He was 1 day short of his 50th birthday.....Me and another friend at work found it amazing that this could still happen in this day and age.....

Bonding-schmoding......I drink my beer out of a sealed bottle and it doesn't get passed thru no car radiator to brew it....

Now the inspection is being questioned......The guy put a sticker on it......he was the inspector.....

Every small town in Slovakia has a top notch distillery, and the hooch is fermented at home from any fruit and sugar you can think of. Then you haul it to the copper pot and booze master.

I think it legal to do a few hundred litres for home use.

You get safe stuff, and save a bunch. Never will happen here, its the last big tax source in the USA.
    And Americans don't pick the fruit on their trees anyway.