basement drain question for adding wall hung toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Bull

Reaction score
Really would like to install a wall mounted toilet (geberit style) and small sink, My question is this.....My sewer drain line runs about 32" above the floor, now where I want this bathroom is in an area where the drain pipe runs vertically up and down. Water supply is here also, Can I tap into the main down pipe with a Wye to connect the toilet, the reason for the wall mounted toilet is to give me height compared to a floor mounted one, also I would need to vent this but don't see the vent line, any thoughts, thanks in advance. .............Dan

geberit_carrier_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
How are you going to use a toilet 32" of the floor? Very carefully I bet.

John

Bull

Reaction score
Thanks John for your time, I was referring to where the pipe leaves my home, it is on a vertical run at this point, and drops below the floor, by using a wall mounted toilet the drain is higher on that than a traditional floor mounted toilet, can I simply tap into that pipe with a wye and hook it to the wall mounted toilet drain, any ideas on venting?................Thanks Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You would vent the toilet before it entered the main stack. 72" is the max distance.
The same would be true for the lav. The lav would need to be vented within 42" before it can wye in somewhere else.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I was referring to where the pipe leaves my home, it is on a vertical run at this point, and drops below the floor,

That is even more confusing. IF the pipe "leaves my home" is 32" above the floor, how will you connect a toilet to it? But, if there is a "vertical run that drops below the floor", then why even mention the 32" high pipe? You CAN "simply insert a tee" for the toilet, but that is usually the EASY part. Between the tee and the toilet, you DO need a vent, and if you add a sink, the piping becomes more complicated. There is no existing "vent line" because the piping you now have does NOT need one in the basement. You have to install it, which is why I said "installing the tee is the easy part of the job".

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks