Absolute Newbie wants to fix own Grohe 33 625 shower faucet - good idea? bad idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbernotme

Reaction score
A 14-yr old Grohe 33 625 "Eurowing" shower faucet is leaking (constant dripping). Grohe very kindly sent pretty complete installation and repair instructions, plus the information that the part that needs replacing is the cartridge, part number 46 048. Now the hardest part seems to be just getting started by taking the cover off of the faucet, even now, with the instructions that show me which direction in which to try to remove it. It won't budge.

I am generally fairly resourceful, but have to ask: Is this a good project for someone who has never done anything with plumbing? Or should I just cave in and spend the cash to have a professional tackle this?

Your thoughts, please.

"PlumberNotMe"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Couldn't find that model's stuff on their website, so can't determine whether it has anti-scald technology, but I think this was introduced earlier, so it probably does. Since I can't see it, and aren't familiar with that model, can't help in suggesting how to best remove it. I have found that their tech support people are pretty good, and maybe worth a call during business hours would quickly resolve your problem.

Can you post a picture of the new cartridge? If you look at it, does it have notches in it? If so, then it won't 'unscrew', but needs to be pulled straight out after the retaining mechanism is removed. That could be a nut or screw(s). They are often sealed via o-rings, and those can be quite stiff after that many years (and maybe torn, which is why it is leaking and hard to move). If it isn't already coated with plumber's silicon grease, you may want to buy some before trying to insert the new cartridge...it can make a big difference in how easy it is to seat it properly.

plumbernotme

Reaction score
41gJs9lAB8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Above is an image of the cartridge. or see it here:
http://www.faucetdepot.com/prod/Gro...ndle-Mixing-Valve-Ceramic-Cartridge-85336.asp

Here is a look at the handle, and the cover that should come off:
faucet diagram.png
It is on pretty tightly, and so far I have not been able to remove it. Off to a great start!

The water heater heat setting is kept low enough that scalding isn't an issue.

Thanks for the quick replies, appreciate your help.

PlumberNotMe

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Okay, lift the handle up, look at the base of the handle and you'll probably find a setscrew. Loosen that and the handle should lift off. It might need a little persuasion, but as long as you loosen the screw enough (don't drop it in the shower!), it should come off fairly easily as it engages with plastic there - it's not a metal to metal joint if it's like I've seen on their stuff and from the picture. Then, just remove those two screws, lift out the cartridge, and install the new one.

plumbernotme

Reaction score
The whole handle rotates, vs. lifting. No set screw, but thanks as I hadn't thought to look for one. But that gave me an idea - it could just be really stuck and needing something to loosen it. I wrapped it in a towel, then poured near-boiling water over the towel and let it heat the fixture for a minute. It loosened it enough to get the cover off. There is a big gob of 14-year old adhesive in there holding it on, that was the problem.

Thanks for the support!

PlumberNotMe

plumbernotme

Reaction score
Wrong part ID'd by Grohe,do you recognize this part?

Progress, sort of. I ordered the part identified by Grohe (cartridge part # 46-0848, pictured above), and then took the shower apart to make the replacement. Lo and behold, the innards don't look anything like what Grohe told me to buy. Lesson learned, dismantle it, then take the part to the store and buy the replacement.

I've sent these photos to Grohe, but meanwhile, does anyone recognize this part? DSCN0736 (Medium).jpg
DSCN0735 (Medium).jpg

The outside handle looks as is pictured above (diagram).
Thank you,
PlumberNotMe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks