Carpenter's Pencil and level in one. Not only that it has a magnet and ruler

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Second Generation "Chubby" - The best work pencil, level, ruler and magnet in one!

The next Generation "Chubby" is in my sweaty little hands! The new design rocks and makes the Chubby's even stronger.

I'll get a few action shots up soon.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The first thing I do with my levels is check them for level!

You must be like the project superintendent on a job years ago. I told him his floor elevation mark was wrong and he wanted to know what made me think so. I told him I measured it, so he took my ruler and measured it with his to make sure it was correct. THen he changed his floor mark.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
HJ I always check and double check these things. We built a kitchen ceiling years ago and did so perfectly level - or perfectly out of level I should say. Learned the lesson the hard way that levels drop and can go out of wack. I stack them with every grading or framing job and make sure they are all leaning the same way.

I have a god supply of first generation Chubby's and a few second generation ones as well. How would you like to test a few out at work?

JW

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
One of my golden rules in barrier free shower design (this is a laundry closet) is that you need at the very least 5/8" of elevation change from the top of the drain to the elevation of the dry zone outside the shower. In this picture you can see part of my "Chubby" resting on the drain and the drain cover resting on the finished floor elevation.

I love these pencils. So handy.

JW

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;; The first thing I do with my levels is check them for level!

I once had a job superintendant check my 25' tape to make sure it was the same as his, because I told him one of his measurements was wrong.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Good tips men.

I would not build a kitchen with my Chubby and do check them before using them. The pencil in the picture is the generation one version and the new pencils are even better.

The ruler is the bomb. Not the level. The amount of times I pull out my "Chubby" in a day is crazy. I'm always using it at work to measure this or that. So handy when shopping for millwork as well.

JW -

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks