Carpenter's Pencil and level in one. Not only that it has a magnet and ruler

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I was going to start out today by saying that this guy at the lumber desk yesterday gave me a "Chubby" but that doesn't sound right. But the fact is he did! Seven inches. In his hand he was holding a nine inch "Chubby".

Before you go and flag this thread as "****ography" I'm talking about a new carpenter's pencil.

The Pencil is a proper carpenter's pencil invented by "Chubby" and I used it day one to set an alarm pad out in UBC.

My pencil is both Green in colour and Green is material selection. It is not made from wood but some sort of composite material. I think I will enjoy this new tool so long as I don't sit on it!

I showed my daughter's and they all want it. Now I better order a box for the kids. I'm sure my Journeyman will pinch my new toy when I'm not looking. David if your reading this - you better not touch my "Chubby". LOL

JW

Measuring the pitch on a shampoo shower niche.

If your looking to order some of these pencils you can do so here

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
My daughter wants ten for her friends at School.

I ordered 40!

I broke this one yesterday. You need to be a little extra careful because the level is the weak point for the pencil but it is a very handy tool. I'm hooked.

:)

Get your Chubby ordered here

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Swiss Army Knife of carpenter's pencils. Now, if I could just hold the Chubby level and find a "carpenter's pencil" to draw the line. You have to sharpen Chubby on both ends to get full usage out of him. Eventually, you will wind up with a lot of 1 1/2" "levels", which might be good for something.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The Swiss Army Knife of carpenter's pencils. Now, if I could just hold the Chubby level and find a "carpenter's pencil" to draw the line. You have to sharpen Chubby on both ends to get full usage out of him. Eventually, you will wind up with a lot of 1 1/2" "levels", which might be good for something.

That's funny HJ. Yes you will need two pencils. Excellent point.

JW

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ha, that is funny. I guess its useful for many things though... I don't actually mark level that often, at least not when using a torpedo level. I just throw it on a piece of trim, or tile, or electrical box, or whatever, and secure it. Then again, I tend to lose pencils left and right, so I usually carry about 3 anyway...

JW, you said it has a magnet in it... where is that? Embedded in the wood? Does it stick to a metal surface like many levels?

I might have to find these, if nothing else just for the novelty when BSing with other contractors... not sure if I want them all talking about my Chubby though...

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Measuring wood with a Carpenter's Pencil

Was milling up some edge grain fir todays back for a nice custom door job in UBC. Wiped out the "Old Chubby" to check my thickness. I wanted to keep the finished stock between 3/4" and 7/8" - man was the planer noisy. Stopped at 7/8"!

The magnet is on the underside of the level and flush with the pencil. It does work just like a magentic torpedo but sadly the magnet does not work on wood.

The magnet is very strong.

I spoke to the owner of the company yesterday morning and was raving about his invention. Turns out the dude is a brick setter and runs a masonary company. His boys always looking for a torpedo level and their pencils always behind their ear.....

Hmmmm.

And bang a great new job site time saver is born. I find the pencil a tad harder to sharpen over my English Carpenter's pencils but what I discovered is if I slice off first the recycled plastic coating first I can get a killer edge on this pencil. So sharp it's like working with a standard or school pencil. Love it.

I ordered a wack of them and am going to give them away to my favourite clients and subs at Christmas. My favourite subs will have it taped to a bottle.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Back in the old days, during my apprenticeship and we still used 6' folding rulers, I always bought the expensive Lufkin with the 6" slide extension, but it seemed everytime I went to check the crews on a job, somebody needed a ruler. I got tired of buying them, especially when I started "losing" the ruler right after I bought it, so I started buying tape measures because NOBODY liked them during that era. The same thing might start happening with your Chubby, so you probably need to buy a lot of them.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I don't want anyone touching my "Chubby", well maybe my wife can use it. That's it. I will stock them in my Truck and give a wack to my Journeyman. If not having to search for the torpedo, go back and find the tape saves me even 20 minutes a week I'm making money on these things. 20 minutes is only 4 minutes a day and sometimes it can take longer than that just getting to the truck , especially if we are working in a high rise building in Vancouver.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Some finishing work today out in UBC. Step one in a three part baseboard detail.

Used my "Chubby" to check my inside corner. Checking more that the tops where on the same plane here.

Carpenter's pencil with built in level

Showed my mom last night and she loves them. Like me she ordered a wack for Christmas Gifts and Stocking Stuffers. I'm told that Mark's Work Wharehouse is going to stock them in Western Canada. Not sure if you boys in Seattle have a Marks Outlet.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The Chubby's developer is fixing me up with a few of these high-tech wonders for my grandchildren, and here is his sneak preview of a version he says will be stronger:

Attachments

• chubby2.jpg
    chubby2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,269

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The Chubby's developer is fixing me up with a few of these high-tech wonders for my grandchildren, and here is his sneak preview of a version he says will be stronger:

Will the new generation carpenter's pencil still have the ruler and the magnet? Did he say?

I left my pencil and tape measure at the job site and some one mixed up the 1x5" and 1x6" stock. I went to pull out my "Chubby" and was joked I didn't have it in my pocket. Took 2 minutes to track down a Yard guy. Took 1 minutes to explain that he could stop asking me questions I'm OK. And another 1/2 minute to return the tape. Lost minutes in a busy day.

JW

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
That should def be stronger... cutting out the middle is much better than the edge... will be interesting to see how it develops.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Wasted 10 minutes today looking for my torpedo level.

The new carpenter's pencil with the level should have a big brother with the level the other way. Even my "Chubby" wouldn't of help.

JW

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Jake sent me a box of "Chubbies" with my order that are samples. Some are less than perfect but most are bang on. If any regular here wants a "Chubby" for Christmas I would be happy to send you one.

My daughter's love these pencils. They love the fact that two pencil's click together and the youngest has developed a spin technique where she can flick on pencil and it spins around. I showed my girls last night how a "Chubby" can stick to the wall (corner bead) and they thought it was magic. Then my eldest called me out on it. Right now the girls have their Carpenter's Pencils stuck to the walls beside their beds. :)

I asked them why they think they are called "Chubby's" and they said so matter of fact that "Because they are a fat pencil." Makes perfect sense to me. My youngest drew a rainbow and drew two lines at once - these pencils even save time for those in Kindergarden. LOL

Merry Christmas.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Checking my pencils for level.

Mike I sent you a seven inch and a nine inch.

JW

Merry Christmas!

Mike you might want to make a case for your Chubby like I made for Angus.

Take a look.

I'm calling this protective sleeve a "Case offering needed damage obstruction from Mishandling" I think the Acronym is better.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks