(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

View Poll Results: How should we treat the brand ROMEX®

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star out and censor the word, problem solved!

10 58.82%
  • Have moderators add the ® sign

1 5.88%
  • Ignore the entire issue. Do other manufacturers do this?

5 29.41%
  • Tell posters how to add the ® o they can use it with Romex®, Disposal®, Fernco® and the other trade names

1 5.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of registered names like ROMEX® on this forum, this is a poll

having your brand name become the standard way to refer to things is the best free advertising that money can't buy. there's no way that omexRa (yeah, thats right... rockin the pig-latin) is in any danger of losing their trademark.

screw them. can you set an autocorrect on the forum that just takes "xemoR" out and replaces it with another brand name? with no trademark? until they complain and lose their free advertising too...

Patent, trademark, and copyright law is an enourmously complex field. Those lawyers get the BIG $$$$$ so I guess they have the last laugh on this. I do think it is true that no matter how stupid we think it is, it is necessary for a company to protect their tradename. I don't think kleenex ( occupy my ® !) is necessarily happy about the general use of that name by folks who may actually be requesting or purchasing a competitor product. I can remember that places like fast food restraurants that sold PEPSI would correct you if you asked for a "coke". They would say.."is Pepsi OK??". I think someone named Beverly from coke was breathing down their throat. It seems they all just sell coke now, so that doesn't come up!!!!

Hey Beverly...here is a comment on Wiki Answer dot com to chase down> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_nmb_wire

Sorry, Bev, but you are just a few decades too late! The term "romex" has been in the public domain as a synonym
    for nonmetallic sheathed cable for at least that long.

they trademarked it, i looked it up.

http://www.uspto.gov/
    Last edited by Chad Schloss; 12-07-2011 at 08:13 PM.

looks like they are in a lawsuit themselves with a company called 'high wire ventures' (rome cable) for the exact same thing-use of the term romex. looks like they failed to renew it when it expired in 2005 and there is an ongoing open case.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?p...&pty=OPP&eno=6

look at the right, click on the one from 3/2/10
    Last edited by Chad Schloss; 12-07-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

I have not recieved a notification from Terry so what should I do???????????????®

There was a meeting between some advertising executives and a "facial tissue" company. One of the ad people made some comment about "Klennex" and you could have heard a pin drop. They are NOT concerned about you referencing a "Pfister", (no longer Price Pfister) as long as THAT is what you are working with, nor when a catalog lists THEIR product under their trade name. Their concern is when you use there name as a "generic" term for the type of material. Just call it "NM" wire and there is no problem.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Schloss View Post
    looks like they are in a lawsuit themselves with a company called 'high wire ventures' (rome cable) for the exact same thing-use of the term romex. looks like they failed to renew it when it expired in 2005 and there is an ongoing open case.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?p...&pty=OPP&eno=6

look at the right, click on the one from 3/2/10

Good stuff Chad, Thank You.

It gets very expensive to keep up with the cost of Patents and Trademarks.

The problem that I see with Patents and Trademarks is that they are United States NOT World Wide Enforced.

When You Patent something in the United States it ENABLES other country's to make Copies, Because all of your secrets have to be Documented, then they are put on the web as public file for all to build and copy.

The only thing is that they can not sell their Copied products Legally in the United States.

The Registration Fee is NOT Free and more companies just say Screw It, Then they can loose it.

Registration Fees for Patents and Trademarks have became more expensive, the U.S. only Registers it, And can not enforce its use in all other Countries.
    Last edited by DonL; 12-08-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Op Error
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Make it a sticky and call it good!

This just be the start of many more.

Most people that ask questions here would not know what you mean if you said nmb instead of romex!
    Yes I am A Pirate-Jimmy Buffett

There are many products that have been around for so long their names are commonly used for they type of product, and not their brand name. In a way, they are the victims of their own success. Just off the top of my head I can list several. Band Aid, Kleenex, Hoover, Sawzall, Roto Rooter, just to name a few. I recently read a news article that Chick Flay, is suing a New Hampshire company for promoting the sale of Kale cabbage with a slogan, "Eat Mor Kale". Disney has been successful in preventing the use of Mickey Mouse, and other Disney names even though the were used on non competing businesses that couldn't possibly harm the Disney image. It is interesting to me that until I read concern about R***x, I really didn't realize it was a sacred brand name. I'm sure next time I need some shielded wire I will still ask for R***x, hell, smock man would know what I wanted if I called it #12-2 shielded cable.LOL

I think we could just use the term "Kleenex" when talking about wire. Noone will know the difference!@

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Trying to make us use the trademark on rooomex is just a 'bandaid' for their troubles.

If bandaid has gone so far as to be an adjective, then let Bev be proud that hers is now a generic.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

repeat. still some weird edit issues.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 12-09-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: weird edit program

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    repeat. still some weird edit issues.
    I do notice when I post , the post is not the same after it is saved on the server.

You can Click Stay on page when you get the leave page message, Then Click the Close Window in your browser.

Or open a new Window and make sure your post worked, before closing the post window.

Just for a work around.

It may have something to do with a Micro Moderator. Sorry but You and I know who You are...
    Last edited by DonL; 12-09-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: I agree
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net