...yet another kitchen sink drain line routing question.

Users who are viewing this thread

dirtyhands

Reaction score
Been lurking for a while; great forum; my first post.

Doing a kitchen remodel, need to move a sink/dw about 8' from an exterior wall in the center of a U shaped layout to a peninsula. Will be adding a short non-structural pony wall on the peninsula side, would like to run the drain line in that wall back toward the outside wall, then in the cabinet kickspace back to the original drain stack. There is a 16" high glulam sitting on the top of the exterior wall, don't want to go thru that with a vent pipe. I'm thinking it might be a lot simpler to just mouse-hole the kickspace in three base cabinets and drop them over the drain line.

Looks like I'll have plenty of room for the .25"/ ' slope in the kickspace with 2" pipe, total distance will be under 10' . Can put a cleanout on the end of the kickspace run thru the pony wall.

Questions...

1. Any reason I can't run the drain thru the kickspace?
2. Will probably need to use a studor aav- should I install it in the A or B position? This would be the only studor vent in the house.
3. Or, is a loop vent feasible for this application (Don't think I have room for a return vent line over the drain line in the kickspace)
4. Jefferson County WA.

Thanks in advance, I know I'll get some great advice... and a few admonishments for even thinking about an aav...

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Attachments

• DRAINLINEROUTINGQUESTION.jpg
    DRAINLINEROUTINGQUESTION.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 974
Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with using the kick space, but it you don't maintain slope, it will be a headache forever. You need 2½" slope in 10 feet.
Terry will know if they allow AAV in your area. My guess is that they will NOT accept a loop vent, just because it is "inconvenient" for you to vent it correctly. No offense, but inspectors are not known for flexibility.

dirtyhands

Reaction score
Thanks, Jimbo.

My initial thought was to run the entire drain line in the kickspace, but realized I would probably not have enough height to slope it properly. I only need 1.25" of slope up away from where it enters the vertical DW stack at floor level to get it into the pony wall, then it's not an issue.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Adam, is that slab on grade? If not you may be able to poke 3" up through the base cabinet and waste stack vent the sink and, with 3" you only need 1/8ipf pitch

dirtyhands

Reaction score
Adam, is that slab on grade? If not you may be able to poke 3" up through the base cabinet and waste stack vent the sink and, with 3" you only need 1/8ipf pitch

Tell me more about waste stack venting... I might have room for a 3" line with 1/8" pf slope in the kickspace, I can make the non-structural pony wall 2x6 to accomnodate the 3" pipe without any problem, it's going to be sandwiched by cabinets in the kitchen and the dining room.

The ceiling below is a finshed basement, this area is right over a newly tiled shower, vanity, etc. I really don't want to tear into that room, too if I can avoid it.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Basically you will run 3" to the cabinet and then up. At the top is a 3 x 1 1/2 san tee with a clean out on top. Waste stack venting works on the principal that you will never fill up the entire pipe so there is always air moving over the top of the water. Most codes let you run about 13' with 3" before you hit a vent.

dirtyhands

Reaction score
Basically you will run 3" to the cabinet and then up. At the top is a 3 x 1 1/2 san tee with a clean out on top. Waste stack venting works on the principal that you will never fill up the entire pipe so there is always air moving over the top of the water. Most codes let you run about 13' with 3" before you hit a vent.

This sounds like the way to go. I figure I'll have cut out the subfloor under the cabinets to get into the existing line down low, I have 4.5" of kickspace, using 3" ABS at 3.5" OD I should be able to get it over into the pony wall at 1/8"pf with no problem. Can maintain the same 1/8" slope (would 1/4" be better?) in the wall, then come out of the wall into the cabinet base just above the kickspace, straight up and then the 3 x 1 1/2 san tee with a clean out on top. The 1-1/2" threaded clean out on top would also be a good place for a AAV if I needed it?

Thanks for the reply.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; My guess is that they will NOT accept a loop vent, just because it is "inconvenient" for you to vent it correctly.

That may NOT be true, because I have used loop vents in many instances when it was "inconvenient or impossible" to run the standard vent. The one problem with a loop vent is that in some instances, it will have the same condition as a Studor vent and not allow the sink to drain. Most areas require 1//4" for 3" lines, (4" is the smallest allowed with 1/8" slope), and NOT all allow the 'combination waste and vent" design for a kitchen sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks