(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water Softener Installation?

Default Water Softener Installation?

Recently I bought a GE water softener from Home Depot to replace an old/failed water softener. I read the installation manual ahead of time so I could buy the appropriate parts to hook it up. When I told the workers at HD what I needed they said they didn't sell those parts. I thought it odd they sold a WS that there was no way to hook up.

The WS has a 1" plastic hook up (male) for both incoming and outgoing water. I needed to tie that into my 3/4" copper pipes. After three workers struggled for about 20 minutes to find a solution, I finally ended up with:

* 1" female to 3/4" female galv
    * 3/4" male to 3/4" male galv
    * 3/4" female to 3/4" Sharkbite

I'm a noob, but I don't think you want to be hooking galv to copper - contrary to what the employee said (he said I'd be ok, so long as it was cold water - I don't believe this to be true).

I'd like to order plastic parts that mimic the setup above, and, if possible hook to a copper fitting of some sort.

Can someone tell me what parts I need (I searched a site selling PVC parts, but am not sure of the nomenclature of what I need)? And, if you know of a site selling said parts, that would be great too.

TIA,
    Todd

Galv to copper can be done, if that is all there is and one needs to get the job done.

Check your messages.

Depending on the bypass that came with the unit, or if it did not and old one will work you might be able use it.

Hi Todd,

I had the exact same problem, spent a half hour in the adapters section before I realized the old bypass valve could be used directly. I also found a 3/4" sharkbite to 1" Female NIPT on the nets but didn't want to wait for delivery.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

I do not recommend hooking up galvinzed pipe to copper. Shark bite should come in 3/4 x 1 FIP or 3/4 x 3/4 FIP. For the bypass side, if you run PVC, 1" buy a 1" female adaptor. If you run it in 3/4 PVC, buy a 1" FIP x 3/4 slip adaptor. Now you have both sides in PVC. Simply buy the fitting you need to hook to PVC.

1" female x 3/4" swett adapter. Copper to Galvy is fine.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    1" female x 3/4" swett adapter. Copper to Galvy is fine.
    Tom, I'm not a plumber but have been told in classes to never hook copper to galvinized because of galvanic reaction. You know something I don't know? If it's ok, why do you think an instructor told me worng? I have always used dia-electric if I have to hook up to galv.

Personally I would outlaw galvanized for water line plumbing.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.