Question to rectify a stupid mistake!

Users who are viewing this thread

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Was almost too afraid to post this question, but since it's fairly anonymous, here it goes.

Was rouging in a showerfloor drain, at same time finishing the area below. I ran behind on the drain and the drywallers below needed to move on, so I went ahead and got the ptrap and drain line in and everything..that's all fine i think. After I did that I just stubbed in the drain pipe from what will soon be the floor drain in the shower to the afore mentioned p-trap. However, I wasn't sure of the final height I needed as I will be putting in a mortar flow, so just left this several inches above the floor.

What I thought I had done was just primered the p-trap and dry-fitted the drain pipe in. Well, got distracted for while and now getting back to the drain and for the life of me I can get what I thought I only dry-fitted to that p-trap.

Trying to avoid cutting an access panel in the dry wall, but want to be sure that drain pipe is glued in. I got it budge a little but am afraid to use too much force and break the p-trap (done that before)

Any ideas on how to unstick what I'm pretty sure are just two pieces of dry-fitted pvc?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The primer is meant to go on just minutes before glue-up, not hours, days, weeks before. It softens up the PVC to improve the bond and so should be dry-fitted before priming, not after.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually dry fitting PVC is a mistake with or without primer. Both PVC and ABS, although different chemically, are what is called, "interference" fit. Basically this means the fittings are tapered very slightly, and pipes will not bottom out when dry fit. When their respective solvents are applied, the surface of the pipe and fitting becomes liquified which allows the pipe to bottom out in the fitting. Besides the difficulty of separating the dry fit joints, when the pipe is cut according to the dry fitting, then assembled with solvent, you will lose up to 1/4" per joint.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I use a measure tape to determine length and glue up as I go, not any dry fit method of trial and error. The dry fit is only to set witness marks for rolling a fitting to the proper angle and to assure I hit where I need to.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree with LLigetfa! Fit, cut, "glue" as you go is the only way you can be really accurate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks