Vibrating Cellphone Syndrome and Ringxiety

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
In this day and age, with all the insidious technology, this is getting worse and worse. I work in IT and so monitor many systems. At work I have half a dozen computers in my office any of which could beep requiring my attention. I have a cellphone on one hip and a pager on the other. The phone vibrates before it rings and has different tones for calls, texts, missed calls, battery low, etc.

At home I have a variety of electronic devices that may beep. Smoke and CO detectors, water leak detectors, microwaves, phones, computers, TV, etc. plus the cellphone and pager since I'm on call, so when I hear faint ringing or beeping, the Ringxiety sets in. Add to this, my medical condition of ringing in the ears and loss of hearing.

Lately, I've noticed a few TV commercials have faint beeping in the background. Of course, with my bad hearing and Ringxiety, the first thing I do is mute the TV so that I may better track down the source of the sound. This has been going on for while before realizing that the sound is in fact coming from the TV. I really have to wonder what these advertising geniuses are thinking when they include subliminal bleeping. Are they trying to capitalize on the audiences Ringxiety cuz if they are, it is backfiring on them since my first reaction is to immediately mute the commercial.

This is really perplexing.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Sounds like it is time for Visual Alarming.

Maybe LEDs for a Heads Up.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
No, NO, NOOO! Not visual. I suffer from migraines with aura. Flashing lights cause me anxiety that it may be a migraine aura which is a precursor to whole lot of pain. Sometimes flashing lights can trigger a migraine.

At work I do have visual alarming. My office has rows and rows of monitors. I have a flashing beacon in the hall and I constantly check my phones for flashing message lights. In my server rooms, I frequently scan for flashing or amber coloured lights.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I hear the ringing on radio ads and television.
The worst ones have a aid car siren while I'm driving. I hate that having to look around and then realize it's just an advertisement on the radio.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, police sirens... waddup widdat? On a car radio it can be very distracting to the point of maybe even causing an accident. It's bad enough when I feel phantom vibrations and I'm looking for a spot to pull over while at the same time pressing my phone against my hip to make sure it really is vibrating. Can you imagine rubber-necking to see where that ambulance or cop car is?

How do these marketing geniuses figure you will pay more attention to their ad when in reality they distract you. Don't they know that most cars have a mute button right there on the steering wheel and that we'll use it? Do they really have donut eating focus research groups telling them that it works?

I have even a greater disdain for those in marketing than I do for the pathetic engineers that compromise their integrity to cave to market research group demands.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I hear my cell phone ringing when its not and also when its in my pocket I feel it vibrate.......all hallucinations. Work Anxiety is all it is.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I hear the ringing on radio ads and television.
The worst ones have a aid car siren while I'm driving. I hate that having to look around and then realize it's just an advertisement on the radio.

Holy mackerel! And I thought that was my imagination. I found myself turning down the car radio too to see if their was a fire engine or ambulance approaching. It is very distracting to my concentration, because it is always so very important to give the right of way to emergency vehicles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks