Iron problem, well chemistry changing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott_J

Reaction score
Had a Kinetico rep out to the house today, very nice and knowledgable fellow. He got similar results, ~11 ppm total iron untreated and 6 ppm after the softener. Unfortunately he said the remaining iron was colloidal and said he wouldn't even try to sell me one of their units. Given the relatively sudden change in my well and the fact that it fluctuates he suspects the well pipe might have a hole in it. I take it the only way to get at that stuff is with chlorination but I am going to get the well checked first before proceeding. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Chevy427

Reaction score
Colloidal?

I would be interested in how he determined it was colloidal...? did he use a mini-softener for his testing. Colloidal and bacterial irons are different. Chlorination can take care of bacterial types but colloidal may need membrane technology or some kind of flocculation/coagulation method. Colloidal is extremely rare in my area, so fortunately I don't to mess with it. But in areas where it exists, it can be a daunting task and never cheap and easy. Since it has the specific gravity of water, colloidal iron won't settle to bottom of glass and should be visible straight from then tap.

Be very sure what you are dealing with before buying. It is better that he walked away than throw a "try-it-out-and-see solution" at you.

---did you see a "mermaid"?

Scott_J

Reaction score
Yeah, he said it was rare too and he'd only seen it a few times but this looked exactly like what he'd seen in the past. I think it fluctuates with rainfall (I'm now keeping a log) but when it's bad like it was this morning the water out of the kitchen tap is immediately reddish/brown and particles do not settle out. I showed him a two day old sample bottle and the color was exactly the same. He did say there were coagulants that could be used but in his experience digging a deeper well is the only solution assuming the problem is due to shallow well and/or a breach in the well casing.

Scott_J

Reaction score
I called up the original well driller and the depth of the well is 455'. They said my problem is consistent with wells of this age (25 years) and galvanized steel rusting over time and getting pinholes in the threaded section joints. She did say I could try a shock chlorination but there was a chance it would ruin the pump and in any case that would only be a short term solution. Looks like a new well for me.

Scott_J

Reaction score
What problems would you expect? I was thinking of doing just a single chlorination (after the holidays) to see if it cleared things up and for how long.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Chlorine attacks steel and steel that is already rusted bad is going to cause some very rusty water for possibly days or weeks. And then the fresh water can rust the steel more. If you were to 'surge' the well to clean the rust out as you chlorinated, that might help.

On the other hand if you shock the well, what do you have to lose?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks