No hot water in unused shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Old man

Reaction score
Hello

A tenant in appartments where I do maintenance work did not use the shower. Now there is no hot water. The cartridge is not the problem. The cold water works fine but turning the Stop-check valve on the hot feed has no effect. No water at all if the cold is shut off.
Where might the blockage be?
I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Attachments

• Shower valve body.jpg
    Shower valve body.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,471

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If that valve is relatively new, it has a pressure balance spool valve in it. That is sometimes (always?) separate from the cartridge. If the water was turned off on one side, it can jam the spool valve to the other side. Normally, it'll slide back when both supplies are on, but may not if it is old, or there's some debris in there. This could shut off one side or the other, depending on which supply was on and which was off. Sometimes, a wrap with a rubber mallet will free it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pressure balancing spools will stick to one side, usually the hot, if they are not used to keep them loose. I have absolutely no idea which make and model that valve is so cannot advise as to the location of the balancer although that white piece looks like it and the hot DOES have a stainless steel pistion showing which could be the balancing spools shutting off the hot water.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
On what basis did you dismiss it as the problem?

I agree. I also do not recognize the brand, but I believe hj makes a telling observation. It would appear we are looking at a balancing spool, and it would appeat to be stuck all the way over to the the left, cutting off all HOT>

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't know but do wonder about the shut-offs there on the valve. If they are 1/4 turn valves, the slot in the screw needs to line up parallel to the pipe for it to be open. In your picture, the left valve appears to be half way between on and off.

I changed the cartridge in a moen once, and a chunk of the rubber tore off and jammed in the valve opening when I pulled the cartridge. It caused the same problem. I pulled the new cartridge out and ran the water to flush the pipe, and out came the chunk from the old cartridge.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks