How much pressure is too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

jm1414

Reaction score
My deep well tank used to stay between 35 and 45 PSI. Now it is often in the 80 PSI range. Is this a cause for concern? Should I attempt to get the pressure down or have the system checked by a pro? My tank is a wellXtrol WX202 rated as 100 PSI max.

PS There is no problem at all with water pressure in the house.

Thanks for your help

Jean

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, I'm not a pro, but here are my two cents: if your pressure gauge is correct, then it could be either the T to the pressure switch is partly clogged, and the pressure switch can't respond promptly, or the pressure switch is either bad or not adjusted. They don't change (much anyway) on their own, so unless there is a (partial) clog, maybe a new pressure switch? If the pipe is galvanized and old, it can fill up with rust and create numerous problems.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
I'm with Jim on this. If the pressure is indeed that high, take a look at the pressure switch. It may not be reacting as it should to the pressure.
Rather, and I see this all the time, is that the pressure gauge is bad and is giving you false readings.
Ron

jm1414

Reaction score
Thank you to both of you!

I guess your conclusion is that I should be on the safe side and change the switch. I'll try to dig out some info on how to get that done without flooding the basement.

Thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not exactly...the switch could be fine. If the pipe it is attached to is essentially clogged with rust from the galvanized pipe (assumingit is galvanized), the switch can't react properly. Turn off the circuit breaker to the pump, open a faucet and let it run until the water stops flowing (you relieve all pressure on the pressure tank), then unscrew the gauge and pressure switch. Check the pipe to see if it is clogged, fix, replace, repair as necessary. If it is not clogged, then it is probably the switch. Again, my unprofessional opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks