How to determine which is faulty? CB or Pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Propwash

Reaction score
Wife called today to say we have no water pressure, so when I got home from work, I checked the pressure valve as it has been known to attract ants and dirty the contacts. No problem there today. I checked the AC at the control box and I'm reading clean 230V. If I turn off the breaker and wait a few minutes and then turn it back on, I see the meter run for just a second or so and then it shuts off. The pump never turns on. I can only presume that this few seconds is charging the capacitor for start, but I could be wrong.

The control box is the familiar Franklin Electric 208 108 49, and I can only presume that the submersible pump is a 1HP .75 kw 3-wire. Unfortunately, I inherited this setup from my father and he has since passed, so I have nothing to go on.

So, I could very easily replace the control box and keep my fingers crossed, but is there a chance that the motor is gone? I'm sure its over 15 years old. How could I determine where the problem is exactly?

Propwash

Reaction score
That's what good neighbors are for!

I no sooner finished my first post when I got a call from my neighbor asking if I had any luck with the well and when I told him what I thought the problem was, he quickly chimed in saying he had a spare (though only 1/2 hp) control box available, so we quickly swapped mine out and bing! I'm back in business. I'll be going out tomorrow to find a more suitable box, but for the time being... Yahoo!

Propwash

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. The motor is most likely a 1HP motor, since the faulty control box was a 1HP, and as you said, there really was no need to put a more "powerful" control box in in the first place. And since all I had last night was a 1/2 HP box, I've really overrated that box now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks