Dual AO Smith 50 gal Vented Gas Installation - Options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephenson

Reaction score
Assisting neighbor - large house (about 6000 SF) ... has two, 10 year old AO Smith 50 gallon natural gas "Energy Saver" (model FPSH 50 236) tanks run in series ...both power vented. One water casing just failed.

I'm not convinced the dual system is the best solution ... options:
1. Replace the one unit
2. Replace both units and maintain the stepped heating approach
3. Replace both 50 gallon with one 75 gallon

What makes sense? If option 3 best bet, which AO Smith (easier sourcing) unit is best application - homeowner will be in house for about 3-5 years.

Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The first question is how much hot water do they need? If they have a big whirlpool tub or 4 people taking consecutive showers, then they need that and maybe more. Depending on the purity of the water there, replacing both with a tankless might be a better approach.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The first question is how much hot water do they need? If they have a big whirlpool tub or 4 people taking consecutive showers, then they need that and maybe more. Depending on the purity of the water there, replacing both with a tankless might be a better approach.

You would need multiples or a monster tankless to provide hot water for a 6000 sq ft house with presumably 4 to 6 bathrooms, 2 kitchens and 2 laundries!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
install a rheem

tear them both out and install a Rheem Pro 75 gallon gas water heater
it will do the same work load .... turned up on mid range.....

you probably will save a few hundred on the gas bill per year and the 75 becsue you are heating less water and less space exposed to ambient air and the heat going out of the chimmny

the 75 will do the exact same job that the 2 50s
will do becasue they never will draw properly anyway

that is the easy way... and if it dont work,
then just throw in a 40 gallon gas in series with the 75.......

Last edited:

Stephenson

Reaction score
Thanks to all - she opted for the 75 gallon AO Smith replacement for the stepped 50 gallon tanks ... had plenty of space so no issue either way. The 75 gallon solution specs out with plenty of initial output with pretty fast regen. Power vented via 3" PVC per installation instructions - the 50s used 2" so that was a bit of a change and a couple of hours. If there are any issues, will status.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
why does everyone need that many water heaters? we have one rheem 40 gal powervent. 3 bathrooms, two laundries, two kitchens 4 bedrooms. two people can shower at once. 3rd can shower after and still have enough water for a 10 min shower. maybe i just don't understand... :(

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
why does everyone need that many water heaters? we have one rheem 40 gal powervent. 3 bathrooms, two laundries, two kitchens 4 bedrooms. two people can shower at once. 3rd can shower after and still have enough water for a 10 min shower. maybe i just don't understand... :(

Yeah, I don't really get it either... I have an AO Smith 50 gallon 76,000 btu powervent that feeds 2.5 bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, and heats the whole house through the radiant floors. I've never run out of hot water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks