Toilet Wax Ring Installation Question

Users who are viewing this thread

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I've just ordered a Toto Ultramax toilet to replace an older Kohler in my bathroom. I have an installation question dealing with which wax ring to use. Should I use one with a plastic horn or just straight wax? The drain pipe diameter is 4-inches and the Kohler was originally installed using a wax ring with a plastic horn. The drain pipe flange sits slightly above the finished floor so I know that one wax ring will do the job.

Thank you,

Jerry

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One wax ring will do if the flange is slightly higher than the floor.

Either one could work, though if the toilet rocks on the plastic horn, I would have the hornless one ready to go.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. Having two on hand will certainly save a trip to the store. I have just one more question with regard to the wax rings with a horn. Are there different sizes (diameter) for the bottom of the horn or is there only one standard size? The one that was installed there previously has a diameter of about 2.75-inches.

Thank you,

Jerry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks