Steam Boiler Repair pricing. how much do you guys charge per hour for labor?

Users who are viewing this thread

roadk

Reaction score
I just had my 20 year old Weil-McLain steam boiler repaired and got the bill.
I was present for the entire repair so I know what was done, and how long it took.
The boiler wouldn't fire. So he thought it was the thermocoupler. Replaced it, but still didn't fire.
Then did some electrical testing and found it was the low water shut off. Didn't have one so he left and came back in 20 minutes with one.
Replaced it with a Safgard 400 Series cut off.
It fired.
Spend another 10 minutes replacing a rusted out drain valve.
In all, start to finish (including trip to get cut off from the office) 1.5 hours.
They charged 500. 250 for labor, 250 for parts.
Sound reasonable? I know there's mark up on parts but I just thought the labor was high.
Thanks for the help.
-Thomas

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Labor MAY be a bit high, but is close to what I would have charged, since there would also be "portal to portal" travel time to get to your place, assuming it was NOT afterhours.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems way high to me. He should have sold the part to you at cost and only charged enough for gas and lunch.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; He should have sold the part to you at cost and only charged enough for gas and lunch.

I hope that was facetious remark, because a lot of people would consider that the correct charge, except they might give a little bit more for the labor.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
quote; He should have sold the part to you at cost and only charged enough for gas and lunch.

I hope that was facetious remark, because a lot of people would consider that the correct charge, except they might give a little bit more for the labor.

Would I make a facetious remark :D

roadk

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that he was in line with what you guys might charge.
I appreciate the help, as always.
-Thomas

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
One of those things that is kind of off base to talk about is pricing. It varies tremendously around the country and even within the same state or city. It would be unfair for anyone here to either agree or disagree with the bill you were handed.

It's funny how someone will complain about the cost of fixing a heating system or straightening out a plumbing issue and then run out and spend 18 grand or so on a Harley that they might ride a couple dozen times a year. Priorities, priorities.

roadk

Reaction score
Tom,
It's funny how someone can be so insulting... (and probably deny it later)
I'm not complaining about the price. But that being said, why do you think it's wrong to question it?
Buying a Harley and never riding it, and paying an unfair/overcharged bill (if that was the case) are two completely different things.
I agree that it is difficult to determine what the proper charge should have been considering the different market conditions, but I wasn't looking for an exact figure by any means (see initial post)
I just wanted to know if these charges seemed fair. And that question, and it's answers from anyone, whether on this forum or elsewhere, are all not 'unfair' as you mention. They are opinion, and that is all I was looking for.
You suggest that I am irresponsible with my money is completely false and without merit. You may be a good plumber, but I'm guessing you aren't a good person.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Would I make a facetious remark

Probably not, as long as you knew what it meant. As far as pricing in any given area, it will, or should, vary according to what each company considers its "profit point". The quickest way for someone to ge broke is to set his prices according to "what everyone else charges". When someone questions my price, I tell them that I can give them the names of some cheaper plumbers, but I do NOT change mine. One person asked me what my price was to "general contractors". I told him, "The same as to everyone else."

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
There will always be someone that will cut prices. We call these guys a** holes. But if you lower your price to beat his what does that make you?

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks